My Dog Eats Chicken Poo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by orrpeople, Aug 21, 2016.

1. orrpeople

orrpeople Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2016
    Redding, CA
    I have the best dogs when it comes to chasing predatory creatures away from my flock. They hang out with my "girls"in the yard and seem to genuinely like being with them. One of them, a Bull terrier/Kelpie cross named Zoomer (best running companion, ever!), also sees his birds as living treat dispensers. I catch him in their night enclosure sneaking snacks. I see him out in the orchard grabbing a bite here and there. Granted, he makes my clean up job easier, but this can't possibly be healthy for him, right? I'm not sure there's a solution, since I want him out protecting the ladies, but maybe someone else has this problem and can share insight?? Btw...Zoomers kisses are shunned by the family now as he is aptly nicknamed [​IMG]"Mr. Poo-Breath."

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yeah, they do that. For some reason dogs think chicken poo is a treat.

1 person likes this.
  3. jstheidi

jstheidi New Egg

May 10, 2015
    Brentwood, CA
    I have 2 dogs that do the same thing. I just shiver and try to prevent this but it's hard when I want my "girls" to have free access in the back yard.

4. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey & that's only the poo you've seen them eat. Cat poo, dog poo & who knows what other kind of poo is probably also on the menu. They're not called DOGS for nuthin!

5. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    My dog licks the roost like it's a popsicle when I set it out for cleaning. Disgusting but they love it. I guess we just have $___ eating dogs[​IMG]

6. orrpeople

Jun 15, 2016
    Redding, CA
    Oh my, I laughed so hard when I read this...well, you are all making me feel better about Mr.Poo-Breath.

7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    One of my dogs would clean the bottom of our shoes after we came in from the chicken enclosure. So we started scraping off our boots out on the driveway. He'd then eat the scrapings off the driveway. Now we're scraping off in the gravel and burying it, or in the flower beds, or anywhere else we can hide it, in a mad attempt to cover it up as much as possible so he can't just sit there and chow down.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  8. orrpeople

Jun 15, 2016
    Redding, CA
    I've been reading these great responses to my family - I don't think we've laughed this much in a while. We also no longer feel like we have a mutant in the yard! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    [​IMG] Great thing with dogs is they're not shy about letting you know when you're slacking in your boot scraping duties. If I forget even once, I find a well licked spot or two in our entryway (currently having work done in the house, so there's cardboard down on the floor. Lick marks show up really well on that!)

10. Elemes

Elemes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    WV
    My Coop
    Our dogs are cuckoo for poopoo too. No worries !!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by