my dog got a hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crappiefisherman, Nov 28, 2011.

1. crappiefisherman

crappiefisherman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    Denton Texas
    My rott-mix was "playing" with one of 9 hens pretty rough for a minute or so before my kids stopped her. The hen must have flown over our 5' fence.

Its been a week and she can walk but doesn't unless forced. She is still laying eggs. She isn't eating much at all. The other hens are picking on her.

IMO, the hen is in bad shape. Should I dispatch the hen?

Thanks for the help.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would at least isolate her so the flock doesn't kill her. They're trying to keep the flock strong by eliminating any that can't keep up.
    Make sure all puncture wounds are treated. Make sure she has layer feed closeby. I might give her some yogurt too. (plain full fat type)
    Watch her closely and if no improvement cull.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  3. crappiefisherman

crappiefisherman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    Denton Texas
    Wow. The injured hen went from looking poor to almost able to run in a day.

She limps but thats it.

Weird.

[​IMG]

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:Glad to hear it! [​IMG] I was just going to chime in and say, Please don't cull her! If she was still not just getting by but also laying a full week after the attack that's a pretty good sign of recovery. Keep an eye on her and if the other hens continue to pick on her, isolate her right away.

If anything like that happens again, I hope you will follow ChickenCanoe's advice and isolate, treat wounds, and offer plain yogurt and electrolytes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by