My dog got my 3 month old Sicilian Buttercup hen

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NancyDz, May 16, 2009.

1. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Well its my fault but of course I got two chicks in february... mainly because i wanted a Sicilian Buttercup but I couldnt get one so i got a SLW buddy. The SLW ends up a roo and I just started letting them free range in the yard and of course my dog has to go after the hen!
    I was going to rehome the roo.... but no Jasmine goes after the buttercup, i stupidly left them out in the yard and was getting ready for a yard sale out front, was gone maybe 5 minutes, came back in the house, shut the back door so the dogs couldnt go back out in the yard, got the dogs a treat since they would be stuck in the house for a couple hours.... and walked into my bedroom and there is jasmine sitting, looking at me with a dead chicken at her feet. No bite marks or anything that i could see so she must have scared it to death:hit

No treat for the dogs [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

nancy

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Awww, I'm sorry to hear that nancy. [​IMG]

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am sorry when I first got my chicken a few years ago I turned my back on my dog while I was freeranging and ended up with 2 dead out of 4 in just a few minutes. never again....[​IMG]

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    im glad i only stick to chickens but when i lived with my uncle we would let em freerange around cuz we had 2 acres and they wouldnt get touched by the dogs and then alot of the times at night we would hear cackling down at the coop and a few of the girls were dead from my uncles dog and he would be lying there like he did nothing wrong. but im sorry for your loss

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Thanks everyone, I should have realized this girl was small so Jasmine would go after it... my big hens scare her because they are bigger than her, but because this one is more bantam sized and still young. Now the poor SLW is sad and my girls hate him so he's got to find a new home.... anyone need a SLW roo 3months old?

nancy

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    why not try and train the dog?

8. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by