my dog got one of my birds : (

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by janemurphy, Jul 10, 2010.

1. janemurphy

janemurphy New Egg

Jul 1, 2010
    It's my fault, but I'm still feeling sad about it. She had gotten out and was on top of her netted pen, but I didn't realize she was out, so the dog got out and jumped up and got her. I'm new to this, so now I know I need to make the pen sides higher. It's not the dog's fault - he was just being a dog. And the hen was young - about 10 weeks, so not a good enough flyer to get away. I'll do better next time, but this is a real bummer.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:That is a bummer. I've made mistakes that have cost me my birds before too. Live and learn right? "When you know better, you do better". -Maya Angelou

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    So sorry; sometime these things just happen. Just beef up your pen and keep them separate. If you keep reading in this forum, you'll see that things happen sometimes no matter how good your coop is or how careful you are. We all just do the best we can...

4. NanoByte

NanoByte Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    Thats bad luck.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    it's not bad luck... just lack of preparation.. what sort of training have you done with the 2 species prior to the incident?

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    As long as you have a chicken killing dog. This will happen again, birds get out or dog will get in, or cause them to fly into the pen, killing them.

You will need to break the dog ,or it will happen again/

7. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Sorry JaneMurphy - it's awful isn't it. [​IMG] Happened to me, and the worst was I was delayed by the rain in putting up the fence to protect them and my little Lucy flew out and my dog got her. We'd been in training for about 8 weeks with him, but without me around all training was out of his young head. I still don't trust him but from time to time he can come into the chook area with me and loves to check out their area and them.

I have a new little sweetie - Daisie - who loves to be with me and has learnt to jump onto other things to get a better vantage point to set sail over the fence. I'll have to clip her wings as I fear she will end up the same way if she gets out while I am not around. You cannot be too vigilant. [​IMG]

8. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I'm so sorry. Stuff like this happens, and it's a sad lesson. Don't beat yourself up too badly. Just make sure you right things and make it harder for the dog and chickens to meet.

I know I'm slated for the same mistake. My dog is a good dog, but I don't doubt he's going to be chicken chaser/killer one day, and I'm going to end up kicking myself because of something I didn't see coming too.

9. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I am sorry about your loss [​IMG] . The only thing you can do is use this as a learning experience. Find a way to keep your dog seperated from your chickies; and I would get rid of the netting on top and replace it with strong wire. Bird netting will not keep a dog out, or a large bird of prey, or most other predators. You need something strong and sturdy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by