My dog got to my first four chicken! :( :( :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TimBaumann, Apr 10, 2012.

1. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    My dog had gotten into the back yard and killed two of my very first chicken!! I can't find the other two so they must have fluttered off! :( I feel soooo bad! [​IMG] **** it I hate this ! I loved them so much! And my one rooster was special! He might have had some feather mutation or something because he never got real full feathers like the other one! he was always fluffy! [​IMG] Do you think I should give up on keeping chicken or should I create a new, MUCH stronger barrier between the chicken and dogs and give it another shot?

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Do not give up! Make a stronger barrier and consider a tie-out line or something for your dog when you are not watching them. Do more training when the chicks are little. It will be worth it!

3. TimBaumann

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Thanks, I won't give up. My friends chicken are getting very many chicks and his mom doesn't want them so if I build a better barrier, hopefully they'll give me some more!

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Never giveup! Create a strong barrier for the safety of your chickens and you can train your dog to not go after your chickens.

5. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    AW, that sucks!

Don't give up though!

I have very predatory Siberian Huskies. I know my dog will at least try to go after my chickens when I get them. I am not letting that stop me from trying though! I am doing all I can to keep my dog from getting near, let alone in with, my chickens. (I will also be working hard on training, "just in case") I know I'll be upset with myself if any of my dogs do get in with the chickens but, I also know I am working very hard to prevent it.

6. TimBaumann

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Thanks, I'm planning to get some electric sheep fence or something that I'll put up right in front of the barrier so he knows that if he comes too close he'll get a little zap!! Then he'll soon realize that the chicken yard is totally off limits! Wow your Suberian looks amazing! very beautiful! :) I have a malamute husky mix (Coby) . He's the one that killed the chicken! :/

7. castillofa

castillofa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    I agree, don't give up. Last year was our first year a trying to raise poultry and the puppies we had at the time devasted our flock. Since then, we have firmed up our lower fencing with 4x4 livestock fencing with a combination of orange snow fencing (had it in the shed, so we decided to recylce its use) and chicken wire. Right now we are brooding our guinea chicks in our hen house, it's large enough and secure inside the perimeter, to allow that. We are expecting our first set of brioler chicks next week and will putting them in there as well. When they are large enough not to stick their heads through the fencing, we will let them out bit by bit, all while watching our faithful dog to ensure not more chickenside. (LOL)

While she is great with the goats, KFC has nothing on her desire for feathers!! [​IMG]

I will be working with her with a lead and see if that works, otherwise, I will be ordering the shock collar and using a remote.

As I said, keep trying, you'll get it right.

8. wvgal61

wvgal61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Troutman, nc
    Get someone to help that the dog trusts be sure someone holds his head at first, let him smell the chicken, if he reacts bad poke the side of his neck, do this several times. Then make him lay on his back and while holding him down place the chicken on top of him until he quits squirming. This is showing him the chicken is dominate over him. It will take time. I can take my boxers into the chicken lot and turn them loose and they wont bother the chickens. Had a shiztu that was snappy with my daughter and I did the same thing with her and him and he never snapped at her again. The key is to do this over and over and until the dog lays with out moving to show he gives up.

9. SacCityChickens

SacCityChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Sacramento Ca
    I'm so sorry for your loss, I feel you
    I insalled two 6' chain link gates after my dog broke thru the snow fence I had rigged-up & killed my first chicken.
    My dog has killed her last chicken!
    Good luck
    SCC
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by