My dog grabbed my chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep Peep Baby, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Peep Peep Baby

Peep Peep Baby In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2018
    Blue Ridge, GA
    6 days ago my hen (Jolene, EE, 1 yr old) escaped her enclosure and my large dog grabbed her. He was holding her but I was able to easily open his mouth to free her. I found no blood or punctures - she lost one small feather. Put her back in with the flock as she was walking around and seemed as normal as one would expect after such trauma. The next day she laid an egg but was very lethargic. The next day since she was still lethargic brought her inside in a crate to help her get rest. I fed her scramble egg. Also gave her vitamins and probiotics in her water. She was eating a little feed and drinking but still very lethargic. Took her to the vet the next day thinking that she might have internal injuries or at the least in a lot of pain. They gave her a shot of anti inflammatory (meloxicam). Vet couldn't find anything else wrong with her. I kept her inside two more nights and have now put her back with the flock. She is moving around but sits and rests. Eating but not great. Went in first last night to roost. On the poop board under where she was was runny yellow yolk looking poop. I think it was her's. She has not laid another egg since the one the day after the attack. What else can I do for her. The vet is not really a chicken vet. He has chickens himself but is not schooled in Avian science. Does she just need more time. Is it possible that she has internal injuries or EYP.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

It's hard to know what's going on with her, but yes, she may have laid an egg internally due to stress from being grabbed by the dog. Even though she had no outward signs of injury, they can suffer from shock, stress and internal injuries from being squeezed by a dog.

If you have photos of her poop and of how she looks that would be good.

Feel her abdomen - does she have any swelling, bloat or feeling of fluid? Is her crop emptying overnight?

Give her some more time if she does not seem to be in pain. Keep her hydrated offering some electrolytes or poultry vitamins. She if she will eat for you after she is drinking.

Let us know how she is.

3. Kruchti

Kruchti Chirping

Mar 4, 2018
    Galena, Alaska
    Keep us posted on how she is doing.

4. Peep Peep Baby

Peep Peep Baby In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2018
    Blue Ridge, GA
    Wyorp Rock, thank you so much for your reply. I'm happy to report that there was no strange looking poop on the board this morning. I fed Jolene some bread soaked in egg yolk and she ate it rather enthusiastically. Her crop was not full this morning and I felt her abdomen and compared it one of my other hens. It felt the same. She is still resting more than the other hens but I'm hoping she is on the road to recovery. It has been over a week. I guess I didn't expect it to take his long to see some improvement. Thanks again for your response.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad that she is starting to eat something, hopefully this is a positive sign that will continue and she will recover quickly.

Thank you for the update, please keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: