1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My dog had a seizure today

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Redfeathers, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I have 2 Irish setters both male and healthy, Flynn is my oldest at 4 1/2 years. This morning he was laying on the couch, I was putting my shoes on to go let the chickens out and wham, Flynn falls off the couch in a full Grand Mal Seizure. I moved everything out of his way and tried to talk to him while it was going on. This is a first for us, he's never shown any form of epilepsy, he hasn't had access to any chemicals or anything poisonous that I know of. I called my friend who is a vet tech and she told me what to expect after the seizure was over. He made it through ok, it took about 3 hours for him to get back to normal. This was a serious one with foaming mouth and lot's of thrashing. The vet says they can't do anything but to monitor it for now. They think it's strange for a dog his age to start having epileptic seizures, usually it starts before the age of two statistically. So my question is, have any of you ever had something like this happen? I'm hoping it's a one time deal, but I know life is usually not that simple.

Sorry this is a little long. Thanks for any input.

2. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I had a Red Irish Setter, many years ago, that was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was about 10 years old. So I would say that it is not impossible. She lived to be 13. What a special dog she was......As I remember, she was on meds for the epilepsy, but only had the one seizure. Good luck ...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  3. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    My younger great dane, Iris, has had a grand mal seizure, but she also had about 4 small ones before that one. She was on the bed and suddenly fell into the floor thrashing around. Before that she'd had a few where she'd look dazed and her eyes would be pointed up and moving (twitching back and forth), she'd be standing but unsteady, rocking back and forth. She was around 4 months the first time and the grand mal one was when she was 13 months, and that was the last seizure she's ever had and she will be 5 years next month.

It could be a one time thing, only time will tell.

4. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I had a long discussion about seizures with the neurologist at the vet school near me. I was asking because the littermate of a dog I was interested in breeding had a seizure, and of course wanting to be a responsible breeder, I did not want to breed a dog with a first degree relative with an inherited disease.

He said there are a lot of things that can cause seizures, and that they are finding that the disorder usually referred to as "idiopathic epilepsy," which is inherited, nearly always shows up between 1 and 3 yrs. Dogs that seizure for the first time outside of that window, probably do not have regular epilepsy. He would recommend screening for infectious disease (distemper, tick-borne, etc), metabolic disorders, tumors... things like that.

Of course, part of the problem in accurately diagnosing epilepsy is that very few owners are watching their dogs 24/7. So dogs could easily have had petit mal (or in the case of kennel/outside dogs, grand mal) seizures and the owner never know.

Any way if it were my dog, I would probably at least run some comprehensive bloodwork, T4, and tick panel.

5. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I will never forget the first time I saw my Pug have a seizure. It was horrible. I'm so sorry you had to go thru that with yours...

They put him on phenobarbital, but you know what we found out? It was our carpet cleaner that was doing it... it was either something that was sprinkled into the carpet for pet odor or the cleaner we used with the machine. I can't remember how we figured this out (it's been 10 years ago) but just something to think about.

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    My dog had canine cognitive dysfunction syndrome (old dog syndrome) many years ago when she was around 8 and now 14 and in very good health. I had thought she had a stroke, some of the symptoms are wandering aimlessly, appears confused, get stuck in corners, does not recognize people or name to mention a few. I started feeding her DE and she has never had another episode and had remarkable results since. I don’t know if this could help but I will continue with using it.

7. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I do plan on doing the blood work next week. I was told to wait a few days after a seizure to get an accurate result. The carpet cleaning products I use could be an issue, we just moved here two months ago and the floors are white, white in the kitchen and white carpeting, not a great color to have with big active dogs and I am cleaning all the time. There are so many things going through my head about what this could be. I guess I'll just have to wait for what the vet tells me. It's heart breaking though, he's a show dog and this may ruin his career, I would never use him for breeding now...

8. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    This may be totally different than your situation, but someone told me that their dog had seizures for years, and couldnt figure out the reason why. Finally narrowed it down to frontline, or one of those flea and tick products. I think it was someone on here who mentioned it, so if you see this please speak up.

9. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    speaking of carpet cleaners, its usually the formaldehyde in floor or other cleaners commonly used around your house, check and see what you are using, and see what the label says.

10. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I have a Pomeranian and she gets seizures when she gets too excited. I'm not sure how old she is she just showed up on my porch one day about 3 yrs. ago and never left. I have to keep her calm. A bath or grooming in general gets her all worked up and then she is flopping around having a seizure. Also if other dogs come to play she gets too excited and sometimes has a seizure. I'm not sure if it is a breed thing or what but it seems if we keep her calm she is fine. Also my step mom had cocker spaniels and they had seizures. The vet said it was there breed and there was really nothing you can do about it. It is horrible to watch and very stressful on the dog. Takes them awhile to recover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by