My dog has a Bot Fly!! *Pics page 3*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jamie_Dog_Trainer, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    My 10 year old Papillon, Zeke had what i thought was a developing hotspot about two days ago. I clipped down the skin, noting a very raised red area. Yesterday checked on it, cleaned it and noticed a small hole in the top of the raised area. Checked again today to find oozing fluid, what shocked me was the fluid kept receeding back into the hole on its own. Thats when I suspected a bot fly..sure enough.

Click on Picture to play the video --Graphic!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Now...what are you gonna do about it? [​IMG]

3. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    oh ewww... [​IMG] I didn't even know dogs got those.

4. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I inject Ivermectin sub-cu near the site when I have them in calves eyelids.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

We always squoze them to the surface and stuck a pin in their heads...then lifted them out with tweezers.

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    It's at a very early stage. I saw the head poking out and it is very very small. I will wait to do anything for now because I want to make sure I can remove the whole thing, otherwise I will have to go "fishing" in the hole to get it out, causing more pain. It is SOO nasty!

7. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    The ivermectin will kill that sucker [​IMG]

8. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I will use that when the time comes! Thanks [​IMG]

9. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    If you use it at all, it's probably better to do it while the grub is still small so that the body can easily expel it. Otherwise, having a dead and rotting bug under the skin might cause a bigger infection. I'm no expert on these matters so do the research yourself, I would just think that such would be the case.

10. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I am doing research, and this one is too small right now for me to remove it without having to make the hole bigger...I will wait until it is a bit larger so I can remove it through the breathing hole in one peice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by