1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

my dog has cancer...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cheryl, Feb 17, 2009.

  1. Cheryl

    Cheryl Songster

    Our dog Rusty starting going lame several weeks ago, the vet thought it was ligament damage and we got anti-inflammatory drugs. Today Rusty had an x-ray and we were told he has cancer in one of his rear knees. (Canine Osteosarcoma) Has anyone gone through this? What treatment did you decide upon, or did you go with no treatment (amputate vs. drugs for pain), and how did your dog respond? The vet said it is easier for a dog missing a back leg instead of the front, but it is almost inevitable that the cancer will get him in the end. This is so hard to deal with and we are just clueless how to handle it!!! So if anyone has gone through this and it isn't too painful, we could really use some help.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009

  2. Sherry

    Sherry Songster

    Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    That's sad, I'm so sorry. How old is Rusty? I would probably opt for amputation and pain management.

    Hope all works out for you and Rusty.
  3. what was i thinking

    what was i thinking Songster

    Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    my rottie had a lump on her front leg. we went to the vets and they said it was bone cancer. they said it would be thru out her body already by the time it shows up like that... i was still ok at that point thinking "ok she will just live like this" they said "she will for awhile but then you will have to decide." ME DECIDE that is when i lost it. `Cede was 9 yrs old and has been with me thru divorce and all. i don't have any of my own "children" she is it. my whole life was put on hold that day. i stopped doing everything i used to, like i went to the gym 5 days a week. i never went again, i had to go home and see how she was. i sat at my desk at work and cried for two weeks. i morned for her from the day i found out.
    we decided that they best thing to do was pain management. she lasted four months. it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. i had been so hard on myself up to that day. i didn't really need to morn i had been doing it for four months. i had my whole family come spend time with her, to say their good byes. they thought i was going a little over board by the end.
    i still think of her everyday. i have her in the display cabinet.
    i personally would not put her thru the surgery, so i could have her longer. i thought that was selfish. she never acted like anything was wrong with her meds. the lump on her leg got to be 17" around and she never missed a beat. she would favor it a little in the end but she never wouldn't do something because of it.
    good luck to what ever you choose. remember you gave them love and a happy life.
  4. lurky

    lurky Songster

    Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I agree with Sherry [​IMG] Sorry you have to even think about this decision.
  5. cluckychick

    cluckychick Songster

    Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I would not opt for surgery only to prolong a life that will end. If amputation will eradicate the cancer all together then I would. I myself would do pain management until her quality of life was no more and then I would let her go peaceful. This is just me. I wish you luck in your decision and I'm sorry for your pet.

    I went through this last year with my beloved GSD. She didn't have cancer but another devastating incurable disease.

  6. Beekissed

    Beekissed Free Ranging

    I loved my dog, Jim, so much! He had a cancerous mass in his abd. and had started to throw up before we even realized he had it. We put Jim to rest before it could get worse. I just wanted him to go out of this world the same way he lived it, bouncing and happy. I didn't want to keep him around just for my benefit. I wanted to never let him go and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but it was the last gift of love I could give him. That was 8 years ago and it still makes me sad.

    I'll see him one day and he won't be in pain or sick, he will run to meet me, from where he has been waiting for my arrival.

    This is not something that anyone can really advise you on, for it is a matter of the heart. Your heart.
  7. NancyDz

    NancyDz Songster

    Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    So sorry about your dog. My dog had it on his skull, a lump showed up one day.. less than a month later he was gone. [​IMG] I would do pain management and love and spoil him as long as he's comfortable. My vet had said if it was on a limb they could live for quite awhile. Dogs do well with 3 legs , they adapt very quickly so I might consider that.
    And don't be afraid to get a second opinion. I went to supposedly the best vet in the area and they hemmed and hawed, put my dog under for a biopsy to get cells to "determine what type of cancer it was. Then a week later called to tell me that they didnt get enough cells and wanted to put him under again! They were talking about a metal plate in his skull and chemo, radiation , etc. Never once told me what to expect. I went to another vet who said it didnt matter which cancer it was ( could only be two because it was on the bone) that both would kill him in a short period of time and it just depended on how much I wanted to put him through. He said take him home and spoil him , and keep him on pain meds. On the way home I took him through the drive through at In N out burger and got him a burger, went home and he died that night. Thank god that vet was realistic with me so I was more prepared to lose him. As much as I could be anyway... [​IMG]

    Good luck!


  8. Skyesrocket

    Skyesrocket Songster

    Mar 20, 2008
    I'm so sorry about your dog.
    If the vet doesn't think that amputation will stop the cancer than keep him comfortable with pain meds, give him lots of love and then, as hard as it is, let him go before he suffers too much.
    My dog went through surgery and we spent a lot of money on having his tumors removed only to have them come back with a vengence. We vowed never to put another dog through it.
    You have a good vet for him to be upfront with you about not being able to stop the cancer. Some would milk you for money.
  9. bluey

    bluey thootp veteran

    Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Quote:Beekissed is very wise! I did the same with my dog 10 years ago and even when it is the right decision, it is never easy. You'll know when it's time to let your dog go and if my dog, Bill, is waiting for me on the other side as Beekissed suggests, I will be a very happy man! [​IMG]

    I hope all goes well...
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  10. MaggieBeth

    MaggieBeth In the Brooder

    Feb 12, 2009
    Lexington, SC
    Sorry to hear about Rusty. [​IMG] I had a basset hound growing up that got cancer at the base of her tail bone. I opted not to have surgery for fear that the pain and recovery time would be to much for her. Instead I let her live a very happy life running, playing and eating what ever she wanted (with in reason of course). Once she started showing signs of distress I knew it was time to take her to the vet and have her put to sleep. It has been 4 years since I had Elsie put to sleep but it still hurts and I still cry thinking about her. [​IMG] Although it was the hardest thing that I have ever done I have fond memories of the time that we spent together before it was her time to go. If you choose to let Rusty tell you when he is ready to go just remember to hold that time close to your heart and create very fond memories.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by