My Dog House Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by teach1rusl, Aug 5, 2010.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm picking up two pullets at the Indiana Chickenstock this weekend, and needed a small temporary coop to house them while they're in quarantine. I found this doghouse on CL for $50, which was probably too much, as it was falling apart (not the best construction, plus had been put together wrong - but it had lots of potential)...it literally fell apart while I was trying to load it...lol. I didn't even try to talk the girl down, as she was due to deliver a baby any day now, so could sure use the money. So I spent yesterday putting it back together, adding support boards, redoing the hinges so half the roof would lift up for clean-ups, etc. It actually has a thin layer of foam insulation in the ceiling and three walls. I still need to caulk, add a door, and add a solid floor board either painted or w/scrap vinyl, but I think it'll work great for the two girls I'm getting! I love the little windows (one in back wall too)! They had plexiglass, which was easy to replace with hw cloth. There's a little over 8 ft. of inside space...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS: These dog houses cost @$180 new. They're very cute, but unless they're being kept under a carport or something, based on what I've seen with this one, I don't think they're worth that much money...don't hold up well to the elements.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Cute. Nice work shoring it up. It looks serviceable.

3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Its very cute. I think I recognize what kind of dog house that is. I definately agree they are like most pre-fab chicken coops I've seen - look nice but not durable in the elements AT ALL. - I would cover it with polyurethane outside, and paint with semi-gloss exterior latex paint on the inside, then caulk the edges/corners. This will help it go along way to lasting for you.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Looks like it will work perfect, looks good to![​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Scoop! Niiice. I like the colors, too. Nice job with the hinged top and hardware cloth windows.

(I'm still trying to find more Little Tike playhouses to make a playhouse coop CITY.)

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I have that exact same doghouse coop- you are right- the materials are a little thin, but I use it as a quarantine house, and it is under a tarp so the rain doesn't hit it. I put hardware cloth in the window, and made a door for it- that is a good thought to use some insulation in the ceiling for the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by