My dog in in heat-sigh, wish I didn't have to keep her intact. Qs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by danischi24, Aug 21, 2010.

1. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    So my American Hairless Terrier puppy just came into heat for the first time at 7 months. She is the only one in the country so I need to keep her intact unless I want to keep importing them (which I don't) each time I'm ready for another one. Problem is that it is the highlight of her life to come to work with me twice a day & I would hate to deny her this. She has tons of energy anyway which will be used destructively if she doesn't get her mile or 2 of running to work a day. So my solution is diapers [​IMG]
    We don't have these doggy pants here so I just took a pack of diapers from my ex who's kid just got housebroken. She isn't thrilled but it's either that or confinement. Strange thing is that my Chinese Crested stud isn't showing a reaction to her & he is a little studmuffin but I've trained him very well about humping etc so it might be that. They are separated except for an hour or so of shared quality time with me anyway. I haven't had any males wondering up to work either so maybe it's just the beginning? I don't know. We always fix our females even if we show them though you aren't supposed to.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My kids beg me to put a stud dog with our Golden Retriever. She is so beautiful it's a shame not to pass on those genes but I just can see living through puppies...
    I already have too many animals, er... chickens....

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Just remember, the diaper will not slow a male down in the least once she's receptive. It's only good for protecting your carpets and furniture. Your male will have no problem getting her even with a diaper on.
    If it helps, I keep all mine intact until they are 2 years old. Crate and rotate, it's the only way.
    Hang in there - it's only 3 weeks.
    [​IMG]

4. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    This is a human diaper. It wont stop breeding? Can't see how a male would get around that. Will the males start flocking & my CC go crazy soon then?

5. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    He'll just pull/chew it off. Little boys can be very determined.

(Think of them like unsupervised teenagers - where there is a will, there is a way.)

6. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I'm not worried about my male-they are never together unsupervised. I'm worried about the males that might wander into my work place. She is never unsupervised for more than say 10 minutes & I thought it would be fine with the diaper for that long. It's hard to keep a crate at work cause I'm scared it gets stolen but I guess I can make it possible if the diaper won't work.

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Why is she unsupervised at work?

I might have missed something, but other people's dogs should not be able to get to her while you have her at work. Ask about a dog gate and have her with you in the employee area?

8. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Toddlers Underwear + safety pins + pads = life saver.

My mini schnauzer is currently in heat as well. We change out her undies every day and today she gets to wear tinkerbell, lol. We've never used diapers on our dogs, although we do have some for when i had ducks in the house. The elastic should do well with keeping them on but if your little gal doesnt like it - i know this sounds silly - but get her a little tank top while she is inside and pin it to the shirt.

9. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:I run a calf nursery so I'm in an open barn all day. I clip her leash to the table & she has food, water, a place to lay down & some toys while I work. Even if I closed the doors which I can't due to the heat, dogs could still get through the calf pens from the outside & enter the barn.
    I wanted some kids underwear but no way my ex was giving those up [​IMG] I might get some from the laundry service though these diapers seem to be working as long as I don't leave her alone at home with them on cause then she shreds them [​IMG]

10. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    You're not thinking of this in the right way...when she is fully receptive to breeding its not just the males you have to worry about. Nature and hormones will be pushing her to mate, so she won't be fighting any males off she will be helping them. I've seen little dogs climb 6 foot fences and eat through walls to get to a grump in heat. It only takes a minute for penetration and the tie, at which point you can't physically separate without risk of severe injury so even if its just your back being turned for 5 minutes it can happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by