My dog is a chicken eater, don't know what to do

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
I have an Aussiedoodle dog, just barely a year old, and we didn't socialize her very much with chickens when she was younger, and now we're worried it's too late. Her name is Rosie. She is a little over 40 pounds.

She tries to "play" with our cat, but he can take care of himself. She had one close call with my OEGB hen but I stopped her.

Late August she caught and killed one of my Australorps while we were gone. We tried to tie the hen to her neck, but she got it off and ate more of her. It was a mess.

I have had all my chickens confined in their coops since then, except sometimes in the evenings when I watch over them while they play in the chicken yard (which is fenced off from the rest of the yard, and we do our best to keep Rosie out of).

Today I had one rooster isolated from the others in a small pen. But in the matter of a few hours Rosie broke into the chicken yard and broke his pen open. This time she ate him pretty fast and all I found was feathers.

Both of these losses weren't chickens I loved, and they don't matter to my breeding programs, but that's not the point.

Rosie doesn't know that killing chickens is wrong. But if it came down to it, I would choose my chickens over her. But my whole family loves her (including myself) and we've had her since she was a puppy. And we bought her for over $1000 to breed her, and have spent a couple hundred on her since.

Please help, we don't know what to do. I've heard mixed results about shock colors.

Thanks in advace!

I have a dog that I could never dare trust alone with my hens. He's always on a leash while outside, and has never had a taste of chicken. If he had, I don't think he'd be as well behaved when he does see them.

A quick suggestion. How about electric poultry netting? Have NO CLUE if that's to keep predators out, but if it is, maybe to protect your chickens, it'd be worth a shot?

I guess I'm not understanding the issue with keeping them separated.

Do you have a secure fenced area for your dog?
My dogs stay inside while my chickens are out and about.
They (dogs and birds) are never out together at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom