My dog is sick! I think?

mychickensneaky

Songster
7 Years
Aug 27, 2012
Rescue ca
I really don't know what to say but my dog pukes her food up. I got an anatolian guard dog to protect my chickens. She is 1 year old. She is very playful and shows no symptoms of a sickeness besides she pukes like every other day. And has a runny nose I think? Someone told me dogs were suppost to have a wet nose? Could she have worms? I saw 1 worm in her poop. But that was the first time I saw a worm in her poop. I'm taking her to the vet soon but would appreciate some advice from you guys too.
Thanks

When you have her at the vet's office, talk with him/her about food allergies. 18 months ago, my dog had chronic, horrible diarrhea for 6 months before we figured out he is allergic to soy, chicken, AND eggs (probably just the soy, but since the allergen makes it into eggs and chicken flesh, he is allergic to them, too. I'm not willing to experiment by giving him my soy-free eggs to see if I'm right :-S ). He didn't vomit, but that could be a sign of allergies.

I tried changing his food to wheat-free, corn-free, etc. but to no avail. His ears were red, too, and he scratched at himself all the time even though he didn't have fleas, scabies, or anything. His skin looked perfect. I finally found info on other allergens besides wheat and then switched him to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Formula and THE NEXT DAY he had his first solid poop in MONTHS. He hasn't had even a soft poop since. =)

He had failed to thrive all the time he was suffering and had lost a lot of weight. Because he was still young and growing, he wound up being quite small for his breed. He's a Leonberger and he's a little less than 115# when he really should be closer to 130-140#.

My vet couldn't figure it out. Did all kinds of tests for parasites and stuff, gave him Flagyl even though his parasite tests were negative. I'm glad I figured it out--he would have died... =(

Last edited:
Is she puking immediately after she eats or awhile later? Does she eat grass before she throws up? What food is she on? Does she eat any snacks or scraps? Is she itchy or have redness between her toes?

Last edited:
Well I woke up yesterday and there was puke on the porch and she did not even eat breakfast yet. She does eat food scraps like some bread and some left over cold soup. It's like she pukes every other day but I don't feed her anything diffrent. I can't reamber what kind of dog food she eats but I 'll look and post later.

Another thing is what does the vomit look like. Chunky not very digested food or really running and acidic smelling? Do you see anything else in there like pieces of dog toy, stuffed animals, yarn, grass, etc...any clues.

Another thing is what does the vomit look like. Chunky not very digested food or really running and acidic smelling? Do you see anything else in there like pieces of dog toy, stuffed animals, yarn, grass, etc...any clues.
She puked like 2 times and it was chucky and then she puked another 2 times and it was liquidy. I don't see anything that would give me a clue in her puke. I will post what kind of dog food later but for right now I came down with the flu. :( I've been throwing up myself. Is there anyway that I could have got what she has?

Back
Top Bottom