1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my dog just killed nearly all my birds...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by secuono, Oct 30, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Yea...she got out of her harness and killed Shadie, my favorite and nearly all the Japs. One Jap is unharmed, top Roo is missing back feathers. White Silkie freaked, 2 buff Silkies freaked and a Jap hen freaked out. OMG, I hope they make it....
    All 3 tiny babies, dead.

I'm going out to buy an incubator for the 11 eggs a now dead hen was sitting on a few minutes ago...

Yes, the dog is now being rehomed...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. Shannoniganshens

Shannoniganshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] , my dogs got in and killed some of my favorite chickens, my husband is putting up an electric current threw their yard fence right now. Best of luck with your eggs, [​IMG]

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    The 2 Hens died while I was out getting the bator. Top Roo & 3(i think) Juvies are still trying to live. 2 Silkies are also alive still, 3rd Silkie is missing an eye and I'm not sure about her.
    25-7=18

3 dead Chicks, 1 sub Roo & Silkie Shadie dead.

18-5=13

13 are either dead or missing. One of the Juvies wandered back and I was able to round her up back into the coop.

Wow...
    What should I do with the dead birds? Skin them and feed them to my good dog or just bury them? Seems more practical to feed them, though...

[​IMG]

I bought the incubator and a turner, they didn't have the fan kit, ugh. $116, I hope some make it...
    Set it up and turned it on, waiting to get it to the right temp, then will move all 15 eggs from the emergency bator into the new one. Will get a humidity gauge after work Monday and try to find a fan kit at the other stores...

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    that sucks! I just went through something simmilar with my dog and birds but she didnt get as many.

I would feed them back to the good dog, seems silly to me to waste them and at least they could be useful afterlife in the way. I wish your eggs all the best!

5. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:If you are rehoming the dog, make sure and tell the new owners what the dog did.
    Its only fair.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I think I'm the most upset over Shadie. She was so sweet and always greeted me. Yesterday was the first time she took a nap in my lap...

7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Yes, I know. I also won't give her to a home with other 'prey' animals, like ferrets or rabbits, etc. She's fine with dogs, cats & adores people of all ages, but everything else is a no-no.

8. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    The 4 Japs and 2 Silkies are huddled together, the 3rd Silkie is hiding in a box by herself.
    Put the eggs in the bator and turned on the turner.

Is filling the square and 2 rectangles with water enough to get the right humidity?

Should I give them duramycin-10, 1tsp per gallon? Since one has a missing eye and others have bites or feathers torn out.
    I will get an electrolyte packet Monday. How should I feed that?
    Gave them some yogurt too.
    Are Bananas safe or helpful to injured birds?

9. Adora

Adora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Southeast NC
    My Yorkie-Poo killed my silkie roo yesterday evening, I always keep him inside when I have them free ranging, My son went out to play and Max slipped out with him. When I realized that he wasn't in the house, I ran out side to find my roo in a corner, with Max barking and whining at him, and my son trying to keep the dog away. My poor son was saying I tried to beat him away [​IMG]

10. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I don't understand dogs that kill chickens. It's senseless. My dog killed them, tore holes in some and moved on. It makes no sense at all! No interest to eat them, or play, just plain cold murder...

All I can do is either sell her or build her a small, fully enclosed chain kennel. I'm waiting for my boyfriend to come home so we can make a solid decision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by