My dog just pulled out roosters tail feathers & now there is blood!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by parkerpeeps7, Sep 30, 2011.

1. parkerpeeps7

parkerpeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    Hi,
    my dog pulled or bit out the long feathers of my 3 month old rooster's tail & now there is blood. His bottom is still there & appears to have no damage but where the feathers are broken there is blood coming out! Will he be ok??? He went right back to eating after I inspected him & is breathing normally but I'm still worried. This is my 1st attack.

Thanks so much!!
    -Amy

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My dog did the same thing to my roo, and also tore out tones of back feathers too.We gave him a bath and put him in a crate. We have been giving him lots of scrambled eggs to help grow back those feathers. [​IMG] Do you have styptic powder to stop the bleeding, flour or cornstarch also work too.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  3. parkerpeeps7

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    I do have flour but that's all I have. Working on him now! Thank you so much!!

4. parkerpeeps7

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    I'm so glad to hear they grow back, he has beautiful tail feathers. [​IMG]

5. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Here is our roo after the attack, we had put some iodine on his back since he had some bad wounds. I am goon go get a pic of what he looks like now [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Did those feathers stop bleeding?? Those could be blood feathers and may keep bleeding, unless the feather is plucked cleanly out....
    Since i'm not there i cant tell...
    When my dog got my rooster and plucked him.. (twice now.. *sigh*) i just brought him inside and got him warm and made him all kinds of good food and sprayed him with blu-kote and hes survived both times...
    Poor little guy... dumb dog. [​IMG] (well dumb dog owner.. i.e. ME..)

7. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
  8. parkerpeeps7

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    Omgosh, your poor roo! It looks bad. My attack was nothing compared to that. Glad he is healing. [​IMG]

There is no blood dripping from the broken shafts. Any that were broken I packed them all & there were some that were plucked completely out. I guess he got lucky.

9. parkerpeeps7

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:I HATE that dogs love chickens so much! Sorry that happened twice. Dogs can be crafty little suckers. Ours are in a temp coop in the backyard fence with the dogs with only 2 layers of chicken wire separating them. They don't really mess with them except the one who got our roo sometimes runs up towards to watch em' run to the back of coop. My daughter was in the coop petting them & I think my dog got too excited cuz she kept jumping around & just decided to take a grab. We are working on a much bigger & safer coop & now this has pushed me that much harder towards getting the new one done ASAP!

10. parkerpeeps7

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:Thank you for the link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by