1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My dog just went after my hens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Johnn, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i was at my hens and my dog was following them round when i was looking at them and then i went into the pen were ther shed are and all my pure breeds followed me becaus ethey knew the dog was danger but my ex battery hens and cockerel thaught nothing of it then i hear squaking and i looked around were the hens were then realise it was on the other side of the big shed in the middle then i looked and he was chasing my cockerel so i shouted at him then he stopped look and ran back around the other side so i ran across (and nearly fell over) and he jamp on top of all my battery hens and they all squaked and ran to me so i shouted at him and he felt sorry for him self after that and kept well away, i think i was lucky

2. Peke's Poultry

Peke's Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    You were lucky this time, my dogs go after my chickens too - not the full size laying hens but they go crazy for the younger ones. I had to build a strong fence all around to keep them out - then redo parts of it as they managed to get under it. Dogs are predators by nature, some may be more interested in pleasing you, but many have the prey instinct and can't help themselves.

3. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    myne is a jack russel and they are really bad

4. glowgirl

glowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Milwaukie
    I have a miniture schnauzer and a aussie mix. The first day I brought the hens home both dogs went after them.

What I did was wait until night time when the hens were sleepy then brought one of them into the house and sat on the couch with the hen on my lap. I petted then hen and cooed at it and let the dogs come sniff a bit. I did this for a few nights, with different hens. The dogs realized the hens were part of the pack and I haven't had a problem ever since. Now the hens go after the dogs and the dogs run away.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  5. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

We have a separate free ranging area fenced off because of the risk our dog poses. He knows not to even go down to that side of the yard now because he gets reprimanded for barking at the chickens.

He is a little 20 lb Boston Terrier and our Black Australorp hen(the alpha of the flock) has actually chased him away from the fence when he was trying to intimidate them, it was quite funny to watch a dog run from a chicken.

6. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Oh, I'm glad he didn't get any of you're birds! My dogs LOVE my ducks and they are all best friends! The dogs took it upon themselves to guard the ducks day and night without any training and if anyone or anything goes near the ducks they attack!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    hes been going with me for the past week i dont know why he chose today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by