My dog keeps licking my other dogs ears. Help

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
I have a Shih Tzu and he keeps licking my large dogs ears. We looked in her ears and they are clean of corse, but is there anything I can put on her ears so the other dog stops licking them. She just lays there and lets him to it. He will do it all the time if I didn't stop yelling at him. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Wet your hands and sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on them and rub it on your dogs ears
Once the licker gets a taste of that it should stop
It wont really hurt just give it a hot mouth for a little while
Wont hurt the other dog at all

My pointer does that to the pup regularly. In her case she is mothering it and grooming. But I sure's heck wouldn't put cayene pepper in the dogs ears. It could definitely hurt the poor dogs ears. If those ears are at allsensitive from the licking it could burn. And if it got down in the ear... ouch. If those ears are clean and healthy I don't think I'd worry. The big dog just might like it.

Call your vet and ask for advice.

My old dog licked our labs ears for years .. Penny died a year and a half ago and we've had nothing but problems with the labs ears ever since ..
hu.gif

Our two labs lick each others' ears constantly. I'm always yelling at one of them to stop. Dogs with floppy ears are very susceptible to getting gunk in their ears. It's much worse during allergy season. One of our dogs gets it so bad that we can rub just under his ears and hear it squish around. If you get close, you can smell it. I think that's why the other dog insists on licking it. Occasionally an ear will get over-licked, and it will become irritated and red. Our vet gave us a solution and showed us how to clean their ears. The gunk is black and looks really gross, but the dogs seem to appreciate having cleaned out ears.

If you just want to stop the licking, try an anti-lick solution. Be sure to pick a non-alcohol based formula, because the alcohol will burn if there is any broken skin. Bitter Apple and YUK are good choices. You can even spray it on a wound. Your dog shouldn't like the taste, so it won't lick.

I'm sorry, but I really don't see the problem. In this house, our dog licks the siamese's ears, the siamese licks the dog's ears, the siamese licks my ears. Both cats lick each other's ears. No one is any worse for wear. It is a bit of a pain to have a 10 lb. siamese sitting on your shoulder licking your ears when you are trying to read.
roll.png

Quote:
My older dog will forcibly lick if the cats won't sit still. I've seen her pin them down with a paw and go to it. The cat's face will be all scrunched up like a little kid getting a good scrubbing from mama. When the dog is done, she gives a good swipe up their kitty head and moves on. I assume the cats are okay with it, as they are fully capable of putting both dogs in their place and getting away.
smile.png

My oldest dog will lick the ears of the younger. The younger has chronic ear problems too. I can always tell when they are getting bad when the older dog starts working on them. Interestingly enough, the younger dog never licks the ears of the older dog.

Quote:
Black & smelly..... usually means ear mites.

Our vet said it was yeast. GROSS! I assume there are lots of reasons that dogs can have problems with their ears. We try to keep them clean, but it's a constant battle.

Back
Top Bottom