my dog killed 2 chickens!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calepy86, Nov 13, 2010.

1. calepy86

calepy86 New Egg

Oct 21, 2010
    TULSA
    well, today my wife called histarical and one of our chihuahuas got in to the run and killed her 2 favorite hens...

the neighbor came over and knocked on the door after trying to get his attention and ran out to find her 2 favorite hens dead.. he didnt eat them i dont know if he was just trying to play with them or if he killed them to eat?!?! he has killed small birds before and mice but never actually ate them. she was upset [​IMG]

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    You can train a dog to leave the chickens alone. We trained ours by bringing her out to the chickens
    several days in a row, showing her the birds, telling her no, no..spanking her with a newspaper. This was after she killed one of the first hens we had. It did not take her long to figure out that they were
    to be lleft alone. She is their protector, now...and peacefully shares treats with them.

3. 2many2count

2many2count Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Well I have 5 labs and I have to say they are well behaved on the average day but breed to bird hunt.....this you can not take out of thier blood its there forever....I can say I dont leave them alone with my chickens but on the average day if one gets out it had better stay out of the corners. Some dogs yes you can work with but gee my oldest ones took me 3 yrs to get them to leave em alone and now I have pups so I get to start all over and they can be not-heads til they get older. But I wont get rid of my dogs or my chickens I work at making them live in harmony.......[​IMG] yes I know I am little nuts but its my dream one day.

Good luck with this and yep I would be hysterical too if mine got my fav chickens....but dont give up on him make sure he knows he bad bad pup

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    My doxie killed a couple chicks he now goes out under close supervision or on a long run so any chickens can run away. I will never trust him alone with chickens out.

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have one dog that killed one trying to play with it. All three dogs are now trained not to bother them, and they make free ranging possible; no losses in a couple of years to the many fox, coon, etc., etc. around here. They don't guard, they just wander, whether there are chickens near or not, but they bark and chase "foreign" critters.

Just teach the "no" or "leave it" command and reward with praise; treats if you wish. No need for violence, not even a newspaper. I don't believe the negative act is what trained them -- they were trained in spite of it, IMO. Hitting, even gently, only teaches that you are stronger, or worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by