My dog killed a chick this morning - now I have one - what to do with a solo chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DangerChickenHouse, Apr 6, 2012.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm pretty upset about my dog killing the one. I don't really want to talk about it.

My chick is solo. I have a flock of three hens. They have met. I have kept my two chicks in pens while the other girls free range around them. Also, the chicks have free-ranged around me all week while I have gardened with the big girls moving around the yard.

My chick is 5 weeks old. Fully feathered. Small. And now solo. I don't want her to be lonely. What do I do?

2. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Maybe you should see if you can get her a bantam friend, they are small and if you get a Buff Brahma, they are instinctual mothers. They might be good friends. Hope all goes well.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe now that she is fully feathered you can put her in a pet carrier inside the coop over night with the hens and continue like you are doing during the day with the adult hens free ranging around her pen.

4. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    All great advice.

I put her in a pet carrier and set her in the coop with the girls. I'm now on the hunt for a friend ive contacted 3 people on Craigslist that are selling chicks. Hopefully I can pick her up a friend today.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I hope it works out well for your chick. Bear in mind that getting a new chick does pose some risk of bringing a contagious disease into the flock, however small that risk may be.

6. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I bought two chicks from a guy who had a really clean set up. The only breed that he had that was the same age was blue laced Wyandotte chick. Knowing nothing about them, I bought two. They seem docile and scared of me. Unlike my other chick who hops in my lap every chance she gets. I still feel really bad about this entire situation. And now I have two beautiful birds that I don't even want.

sigh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by