my dog killed my chick

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 12304, Jun 28, 2011.

1. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    the first day we got our chicks my dog was looking down and Suger a little black chick pecked her nose then my dog flipped suger up in the air and she landed and died it was so sad. my chickies are now about 6 weeks old and I am scared to let my dog get near my chickens but i want them to be ok around each other so i dont have to worry about my dog getting out when the chicks are pecking around in my yard. my dog is a golden retreiver so she is a sweetie but i am so scared to introduce her to my chicks. what should i do?

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep a barrier between them till they get more accointed. My dog can be left all day in the lot with geese, ducks, chickens, turkeys as a guard but when chicks arrive he is so courious he's almost agressive. Allowing him to lokk in but not touch for a few days, let's some of the newness wear off, then they can meet with me holding the chick and talking to the dog.

3. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    I agree with letting them get to know each other with you holding the chicken. I have the same situation with my cat. She tries to swat at newborn chicks, but will not bother when they get bigger. My dog is really bored with the whole thing, but I got him from an animal rescue group and "hand picked" him for being gentle around chickens and cats. (but he's very aggressive toward other dogs in his territory) It sounds like your dog is not necessarily aggressive toward chickens, but I would get him used to them slowly and train him not to go after them. Does he chase cats? Golden retrievers are bred to go after birds, but to "gently" hand them over when you ask. They are also very smart, so you have a good chance of making the dog a good protector.

4. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    thanks for the tips. you are right my dog is not aggresive toward them its just suger pecked her nose and i think shanti (my dog) was just playing. ilet the dogs out when the chicks are in the run and she just sits there staring at them but latly she has been showing less intress in them.

she has never met a cat so i dont know if she chases them. but maby she will be gental since she is a golden retreiver and i agree she would make a good protecter for my chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by