My dog killed my hen 2day :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OL'McAlishia, Nov 12, 2010.

1. OL'McAlishia

OL'McAlishia Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Portland
    Well, I got a call from my bf while @ work today which i thought was weird so I text him back asking what was wrong i couldn't answer of course, and he let me know my dog got a hold of my two black Australorps, Thelma and Louise. One was killed, the other managed to survive 6 more hours till I got home from work, she looked fine despite her unusual demeanor, or atleast until i was able to take her out of her coop and start lifting her feathers! I told my bf to make a vet appt but the fact is I just woud not be able to afford that kind of bill right now. Any advice on how to help her? I honestly don't think she will make it but besides being my great egg layers they were my pets too and I am so saddened by this. My dog has never messed with chickens b4 and has been around them for atleast 2 months. I now know no chickens can be "free range" on this little farm! [​IMG]

Anyways, her wounds are on back between wings and near her rear end. I cannot tell if there is a dime size hole in her actual body like showing her lungs or if its just tissue from part of her feathers and skin being ripped out. She did not like me using anything to pull back feathers near her rear so i could not see there so well without holding her which I couldn't do with a scared 8 yr old trying to hold a flash light. I got her to drink a little water but she is lethargic and may be in shock, I want to save her! Anyone please help! I do not want her to suffer! I rather her pass overnight and get buried then having to kill her myself!

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry to hear about Thelma and Louise. [​IMG] I don't know enough to advise you on your injured survivor, but I know you'll be more likely to get help in the Emergencies/injuries&cures section of the forum. You should contact a moderator and get your post moved to that section. I hope you get help soon.

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Anything in shock needs to be kept warm , whether wrapped up, nestled on a heating pad or set under a heat source. Another crucial element is to keep her surroundings calm and quiet. Keep getting her to drink, add vitamins.

Under injuries and diseases are very good step by step instructions on wound care.

Keep us posted as to how she does.

Jenny

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    clip the feathers around the wound, keep it open, keep her warm... if there's no raspy sounded breath then the lungs might've been missed...

important things... did your bf caught the dog in the act... if yes, what did he do...?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  5. OL'McAlishia

OL'McAlishia Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Portland
    Unfortunately she did not make it, I doctored her as much as I could but she was breathing raspy so I self diagnosed it as a lung puncture (maybe I watch too much tv lol) cleaned her up kept her warm but it just wasn't enough. Dogs were not caught in the act my dog came up hacking up feathers and then my bf and 8 yr old found the chickens. Very sad to lose my girls, I was shocked to believe how attached to a darn chicken I could get! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by