1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My dog killed two of my chicks - I am so sad!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CodyChristine, May 18, 2008.

1. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Uggghhh...I am so sad and feel so responsible. [​IMG] I brought my chicks outside for the first time today. They are a week old and were loving being outside. I had them inside a little fencing in the yard and one of our boxers came over. She just stood there and stared at them and I was holding on to her so she could watch and get used to them because she's never been around chicks or anything besides birds. Well my two production reds happened to come over by her inside the fence and she lunged knocking the fencing over and killed them!! I think she squished them with her paw - it all happened so fast and I was screaming. My brother in law was there and he immediately grabbed the two chicks and the dog. I just feel so guilty - it was senseless. [​IMG]

2. slahmswife

slahmswife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Princeton BC Canada
    Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. My 2 shepherds got at my laying hens the other day and killed 2 of them as well. The dogs got out of our fenced yard and "played" to vigorously with them, there was no blood or anything but the hens were dead. I have a run for the chickens now as they were free range before. And I have new silkie babies which I am aclimitizing the dogs to so that doesn't happen again. Fingers crossed [​IMG] that it doesn't. They are really great dogs, but they are still only a year old and they love to chase birds. As far as I know they have never caught any before.

3. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    How sad for you, the dog, and the chicks! [​IMG]

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Sorry to hear that! [​IMG]

My dog, still a pup really, could care less about our chicks, but I still don't turn my back on her. It's just their nature.

5. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Experienced a loss to our dog yesterday ourselves. We knew in advance our dogs would happily eat our chickens so DH used heavy chain link fence around their run. However we had such strong winds yesterday that their coop door had blown open, I must have discovered it soon after it happened as everyone but one of my "fryer" roosters were still inside. My dog had not gone inside to bother the others and he could have done so easily but the one who dared venture outside became his dinner. I really hated this but was so thankful it could have been a disaster. Thankfully DS1 came home about that time and secured the door so this won't happen again. Farm life is sometimes a bit harsh to say the least. best of wishes with the rest of your flock.

6. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I am so sorry! Things like that happen, but its still hard to deal with. yesterday one of my cute little blue ee chicks got out and was playing in the yard, my doberman caught it and brought it to me...killing it in the process, not sure if she meant to or not, but she did. I patched up the tiny hole it got out of, gave the dog a good talking too, cried a little and buried little boy blue. Maybe we will both have better luck from now on.

7. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Well my big dog knows he has done something wrong when we go out to the lot he won't come near and stands with his head down with this sheepish look on his face. He knows he shouldn't have done that.

8. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Boxers and chickens...we have had that mix for years. Our old boxer was awesome with the birds, she would keep them within bounds in the yard and protect them from everything. Never had an intruder when she was out in the yard with them.
    Our next boxer was born to chase down anything and we had to give her up...not only for the brids sakes but because she was nasty about chasing porcupines and cost us a few surgeries before we deicided she wasn't worth anymore! So we gave her to someone who turned her into a winning show dog:>)
    The boxer we have now is just as much trouble, but we figured out how to control her with radio fencing so she is not a problem anymore:>) She can't reach my coops anymore. Last summer she got in one day when I accidently left the door open and killed almost all the birds I had in there. Yup birds and dogs can be a challenge. Dogs are made to do what htey do:>)
    I have to say though that boxers make the most wonderful family dogs. Though they will scare the heck out of anyone they don't want around, they will rarely, if ever bite, and they will protect your kids and your property and you with thier lives!

9. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Quote:You hit that right on the head. Our boxers will defend us like crazy but one of them (the one that killed the chicks) has a little crazy in her when it comes to other animals! We have cows and she will herd them up and is wonderful with our kids. Our other boxer likes to "play" with the possums we have around our house. She scares them into their coma and then carries them around like a ball. Fortunately for them, we haven't had any possums around for a few months. They must have spread the word to their friends to stay clear of this place![​IMG]

10. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Mine chased a skunk last summer....right under the neighbors deck who was having a company bbq at the time...I have to say everyone left really really fast, and as ambarrassed as I was that my dog caused that commotion, I couldn't help but crawl home I was laughing so hard!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by