my dog loves chicken poo!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by erinm, Jun 19, 2007.

1. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    Anyone else have this issue? He follows them around the yard all day lapping it up after them, gross!! It won't hurt him will it? My chickens free range most of the time when I am home and he does also. i can't keep either one of them cooped up or they will all be unhappy! erin M

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

THATS DOWN RIGHT DISGUSTING!!!! [​IMG] sheeesh the things some people post (JK!!)

Mine does it too!!! [​IMG] Anybody have any idea how to make it stop?! Makes me want to hurl everytime I see her doing it

3. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    my dog's almost as bad. And he's the 2nd dog I've had like this. I try to discourage it as much as possible. I think they can get worms, at the very least, by doing this.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

DE DE DE DE DE!!!!!! on everybody and in everybody

5. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    We also have been having that problem with our new puppy. Our 10yr.old Rottie doesn't eat it. I asked that question here and several people said that it is not a problem. My nieghbor on the other hand says that her dog eats chicken poop and gets worms from it, so they give their dog worm pills every month. I guess that we will have to do the same as we also have some plants on our property that will give them worms if they eat it, grasses and weeds and our puppy loves to pull up weeds and drag them around. My DH is afraid that he will start eating the wild bird poop and get west nile virus.

Monica

6. Poultryisgood

Poultryisgood Cooped Up

Jun 15, 2007
    Our vet actually told us to put something like lemon juice on a few piles and its so yucky tasting to the dog when they see it they figure it all taste like that and they don't touch it and it worked for us

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    And I always thought lemon juice was a flavor enhancer...LOL

Yeah my dog is pretty gross, too. Will have to try the lemon juice...

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Keep the dog out of the chicken yard. No way are you going to be able to break a dog of this nasty habit; it is their natural instinct to do some really gross things.

Rufus

9. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Oh, thank God my dog doesn't do that!!! ICK!

10. Menagerie

Menagerie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, yes, yes...two of my dogs just live for that stuff, it's the best treat on the planet according to my lab. How do you market those treats? Not sure it's to good for them but they sure enjoy it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by