my dog loves eating chicken poop, HELP!

vinniepoch

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Mt. Shasta, CA
my german shorthair who is 10 years old loves eating the poop our 28 chickens make when we let them out into the yard at night. how bad is this for her?

My dogs do too...it's a dog thing. One of my dogs follows the chickens around like they are dog candy factories.
sickbyc.gif
Nasty habit, but they'll be fine. Just don't let them lick ya in the face!
lol.png

Yeah, I have a dachshund who licks what slides down the side of the roost. Makes me sick and I swat her when I catch her at it, but whatcha gonna do? There's no way to make them stop.

Well...maybe if you had some "Daves Insanity Sauce" and went around putting a drop or two on each poop you find...
lol.png

Now, it seems like if you could teach your chickens to eat dog poop; Then you'd never have to buy animal food again.
sickbyc.gif

Imp- I think I'm onto a win/win/win situation.
roll.png

sickbyc.gif
Its hard enough to keep them out of a cat litter box, I cant imagine policing the yard....that said, from what everyone says, at least they dont get sick from it, even if it is absolutely disgusting!

I have a german shorthaired pointer that started the same poo thing, weird thing is she wouldnt eat the yard poo just the stuff in the coop, I try to clean the poo everyother day(for my garden). But one day I threw 3 habinaroe peppers in the blender with 4 cups of water, blended, Strained and put the liquid in a spray bottle. I sprayed all the poo in the coop. It only took one lick and she was cured. She still to this day will not even smell the poo in the coop or out in the yard. My dog was 8 years old then.

Quote:
We had the same problems with our dogs" sampling" from the litter box....we bought a covered litter box and turned it so the enterance was facing the wall...enough so kitty could get in...then we had to place it under a low table with heavy objects on it....but it works...

Now they have chicken poop samplers....

I normally leave my outdoors, chicken flip flops (my girls are still little and not too nasty yet, and they're really easy to hose down) by the garage door. One night I made the mistake of bringing them inside the house, next to the door. It took me 3 days to find them, the dogs thought they were the best treats ever and hid them under the bed!

Back
Top Bottom