My dog "picked" a chicken!!

neyen14

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Hi! I am new here and I look forward to learning more about the chicken that showed up in my life yesterday. Thank you in advance for any info that would help me to make it comfortable.

So first off, I noticed my dog was in an area of the yard that he normally does not enter because it's fenced off. Then I noticed that he had something in his mouth which turned out to be a chicken. Amazingly the bird survived the jaws of Biggie, my pit bull. To make a long story short, I asked my neighbor if he lost a chicken and he told me no at first but then he saw it and said that it was a fighting chicken that got away from his friend a little bit ago. He told me his friend would come to get it and he has not so far so I'm planning on keeping the thing. Excuse me for calling it a thing because I have no idea if it is a hen, a rooster, or what. I'm planning on building a coop for it this weekend. Here is a pic of it and I'm wondering what anyone could tell me about it.

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. If it was used for fighting, it is probably a roo. I hope you are able to give it a good home with other friends as well. :thumbsup

i think it looks like a rooster. good luck raising it, you might want to get him a couple of girlfriends. :)

Thank you everyone for your fast reply. Looking forward to keeping him out of the fight game. Lucky for the bird, our family is vegan so he won't be eaten either!! What should I be feeding him?

Welcome to BYC, from the Philippines.... It looks like a rooster but I'm sad to say that if he is a fighting rooster, you can't have another rooster unless you tie him or keep him separated, he'll fight the other rooster... Sorry that I'm changing the mood but, I think you SHOULD be informed of this, hopefully he isn't a fighter...

Thank you everyone for your fast reply. Looking forward to keeping him out of the fight game. Lucky for the bird, our family is vegan so he won't be eaten either!! What should I be feeding him?
ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. Glad to hear from another vegan/vegetarian member
frow.gif
. Roosters do not need excess calcium so I would just feed him Flock Raiser

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Thank you for giving that roo a good home
thumbsup.gif

Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. Glad the Roo is with you & away from the person using him to fight. You can buy food at your local feed store. You might want to get a few hens to go with your Roo. He would be an extra happy boy & you could get some eggs out of the deal.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom