My dog pinned down a chicken and plucked her feathers

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Grima, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Grima

Grima Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    South Carolina
    I noticed about 3 days ago one of my hens, about 4 1/2 months, had a lump on her face. I put some vetamax on it. Then as I was sitting outside with my friend, she noticed and screamed "yer dog is eating your chicken!!!" I ran over and scooped her up, scolded my dog, and she was limp, not dead. He didn't cause and wounds, he simply had her pinned down and tore out some feathers. Upon further inspection of her I noticed she had more lumps on her, mainly on the legs. I guess she was sick? Maybe tumors? Not sure but I'm just wondering if anyone thinks that maybe my dog had her pinned and pulling her feathers because she was sick? My dog has never showed any kind of ill interest in them before, not even chase them......she died over night [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. littlefarmgirl9

littlefarmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2014
    Aww sorry about your hen! I think maybe the lump was a tumor, and possibly cancerous. However, if it was onher neck it might have been something wrong with her crop...? I don't know. Again, sorry for your poor hen!:hugs :hugs

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    That's not good [​IMG] What do you mean by "lumps"? Were they sores, blisters, etc.?

Probably the dog. In the future, I would consider putting fencing up or heavily training your dog to not bother the chickens.

4. Grima

Grima Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    South Carolina
    No definitely not from the dog. They were lumps or growths that were not red. She was sick from something and I was just wondering if that is why my dog singled her out

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You never know - animals can sense when one is weak or ill.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Very true.

Where were the growths? It could be Marek's disease, abscesses, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by