1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My dog ripped off a flap of skin...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by homeschoolmama, Oct 13, 2009.

1. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Flagstaff, AZ
    My GLW (6 mos old) got mauled by my dog yesterday afternoon. She has a flap of skin maybe 1"x2' that was ripped off of the back of her neck but is still attached. I looked around this sight yesterday to figure out what to do. I clipped off feathers near the edge of the wound, cleaned it out w/ a sterile saline solution, applied neosporin and tried to fit things back together as best I could and wrapped her up w/ some of that self stick (sticks to itself) breathable bandage. She is in the garage in a dog crate w/ a heating pad under one corner. She has been pooping and ate some (yogurt, applesauce and Flock Raiser mixed) last night and this morning I got her to eat some more(yogurt, mashed banana, oatmeal, chopped grape, and some wheat cereal w/ some water). It lools like she may have eaten some of her dry Flockraiser crumbles. I've tried to get her to drink some water (mixed w/ a little sugar and a pinch of salt) w/ an eyedropper and I think she drank some on her own, later. She is being pretty quiet but when I just went in to check on her she's standing over by her food-think she's eating but stops what she's doing when I go in and has spilled some water.
    I don't know what else to do for her right now. I am reluctant to peel back her skin to apply more neosporin and interrupt any healing going on. How much food/water should I try to get into her? Should I try to buy antibiotics at the feed store or something? Is that even available? If so what kind- a vet is out of the question. What should I be looking for? How long will something like this take to heal enough for her to go back outside do you think? These are my 1st chickens so I'm new at this.
    Thanks
    Regina

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hi, Regina! I had the same thing happen to my Pooh (an EE) about a year ago. The dogs caught her and peeled back an area about the size of your palm (dumb chicken flew into the back yard with the dogs) . I cleaned her up and watched her for 24 hours. I finally found a vet who would work on chickens. He disinfected the area and sewed her up. She lived in the house for a week or so and then in a secure pen in the run (so the others couldn't get to her). It took a while for her feathers to grow back, but I am happy to say that she is doing great today. She's one of my best layers and lays the prettiest mint green egg.

All of that to say, she might just be fine. Keep the wound clean. I'm no vet, but I'd think constantly peeling it back isn't good. I have a thread going about a baby I have with a pecked head and someone recommended superglue to hold the wound closed. I've never tried it, but it makes sense.

If you can stitch her up that might be faster, but it would be tricky if you don't know what you are doing.
    Pooh was on liquid antibiotics I got at the vet. Since then I have learned that the local co-op has a liquid inject-able penicillin for chickens. It's called PenG and is in the refrigerated case.

Make sure that she keeps eating and drinking. Pooh was uninterested in food for a while, but would gobble cucumber mash right up. She ate scrambled egg and cucumber for a day or so until her appetite kicked back in. The cucumber mash was great to hide medicine in too!

Sounds like you are on the right track with the keeping her calm and quiet. Keep an eye on her and on the wound. Just make sure it doesn't smell or look nasty and you should be okay.

Good luck. It is stressful and hard when our babies are hurt. Sounds like you are doing a good job though. [​IMG]

3. homeschoolmama

Apr 10, 2009
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks for the reassurance-it really does help. I did read about the super glue in your post-sounds like a great idea. When my hubby gets home I think I'll try it-I need an extra set of hands to tackle that.
    Dixie seems basically fine-not shocky or acting sick-just subdued which is good I guess-keeping quiet and resting. She did lay an egg this afternoon and I scrambled it up for her.
    What is cucumber mash?
    Good luck w/ Baby.
    Hugs to you too- a rough start to the week...
    Regina

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Cucumber mash is just the squishy inside of a large seedy cucumber. I pureed cucumber for her and mixed the medicine into a tiny bit. Once she ate that (or gobbled that) I gave her the rest of it. Pooh just really likes cucumber. Your baby might have another favorite. Watermelon is also a huge hit around here as is pumpkin. Just find something special that she doesn't get all the time. Tempting, you know?

Thanks for the hugs. It's so hard when they are ill. I never know where the line is of keeping them alive for me and keeping them alive for them. I'm teetering on it with the little roo and trying to decide what is best for him.

Keep me posted on your baby. They are a lot hardier than we think. [​IMG]

5. homeschoolmama

Apr 10, 2009
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Last night when I unwrapped Dixie's wound intending to do the super glue thing-Everything looked pretty much in place and holding together, as best I could tell. She kept pulling her neck in and struggling more than the 1st day-did have her wrapped in a towel to keep her still- so seems like she's feeling at least somewhat better. So I decided against messing with it and just wrapped her back up w/o the super glue. I guess now she just needs to be eating/drinking/resting and healing. Just hoping I can kep infection at bay. She didn't seem to want much of her treats this morning but I'll keep trying to tempt her throughout the day. Crosssing my fingers.
    Hope all is going OK w/ your little roo-it is a hard choice-wish they could talk & tell you how they are really doing.
    Hang in there.
    Regina

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Just checking on Dixie... how is she doing?

Baby roo still has a hole on his head, but is acting fine. [​IMG]

7. homeschoolmama

Apr 10, 2009
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hi!
    Thanks for asking! Dixie seems to be on the mend. I just wish she would eat more. I've been trying to tempt her w/ scrambled eggs and fav fruits. Which she does eventually eat most of. She's not eating her regular feed (Flockraiser) at all. The only thing she seems enthusiastic about is scratch and chopped, unshelled sunflower seeds-still wish she'd eat more. She's pooping several times a day and her wound looks to be healing and not infected as far as I can tell. She laid 1 egg on the second day but I think that was in the pipes and ready to come out-none since. Today is 1 week since she got injured. She's getting a little more grouchy and harder to handle which is probably a good thing- she's never been a cuddly chicken. I'm a little concerned about this coming weekend since I will be gone for 5 days and I'll have to leave her care to my 20yo and 16yo who mean well, but are involved in their own spheres and are not as chicken-centric as me [​IMG] ! I think that she is basically out of danger (cross fingers!!) just needs to heal up more before I get her outside with her "sisters". When I get home she will have been secluded for over 2 weeks and then I'll have to worry about reintrducing her outside-is that fraught w/ problems? Will the other girls accept her? I know pecking at her wounds can be an issue and I bought stuff to apply to her for that. I'm hoping once she's back outside she'll feel more like eating-you know that whole competition they seem to be in to rush to the food and get the best tidbits. Maybe she just doesn't need to eat much just sitting around bored out of her little mind.... Do chickens get depressed being all alone like that and lose their appetite?

Is your roo out w/ the others or in the "hospital? They seem remarkably sturdy.
    These are my 1st chickens so I feel at a loss but so glad there is this site to help me along.

Let me know how you guys are doing. This has happened at such an extra busy time for me, of course, so it's another thing to add to the list of to do's and worries.
    Regina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by