1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Dog Sassie died last night

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TXmom, Feb 10, 2009.

1. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in shock...I don't know what happened. She was a 2 year old Springer Spaniel, and in fine health. She was in the house with me yesterday afternoon and I didn't see anything wrong with her. Last night, my husband was building the chicken run and he saw kids walk down the road with their dog. He expected Sassie to start barking at them, but no sound. He thought that was strange but kept working. Then the kids walked back the other direction and still no Sassie...so he looked around and found her laying in the yard, dead. [​IMG] She had a very small amount of blood coming out of her mouth, but no visible injuries. I don't think she was hit by a car, but I guess it's possible. In between our yard and the street there's a ditch and a line of trees/brush, but no fence...she was in our yard on our side of the ditch. And my husband was outside working on the run and didn't see or hear anything. He walked in the house a few times, but was mostly outside.

We're all really sad and shocked...don't know what to think about this... Now we have to figure out how to bury her. It hasn't rained here in at least a month so the clay ground is rock hard....

2. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

My deepest sympathies. We have a 8 month old springer. My FIL breeds them so "we" have th whole family -- grandma, mother, sisters, and brothers. I wouldn't know how to handle it if we lost any one of them. May you cherish the moments you had.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh I am so sorry. [​IMG]

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm sorry... So young...poor Sassie. With the blood coming from her mouth it makes me suspect a car if she was not restrained from getting in the road, though I would have hoped the driver would have stopped.
    JJ

5. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss! That is such a shame! It would really bother me not to know what happened to her, I hope you find out. [​IMG]

Lisa

6. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I'm so sorry. we just found out are 12 yo pitbull has cancer and last night he pooped blood all over the bathroom so we are trying to mentally prepare for his passing and getting lots of pics. we got him when he was 8 weeks old. [​IMG]

7. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats terrible [​IMG] [​IMG] I would be lost if my dog died although I know it will eventually happen. You might want to have an examination done to see what it was. There are several health issues that springers can have that have no real visible signs.

8. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

9. Chiiiiiiiiiickens!

Chiiiiiiiiiickens! Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    Southern New York
    That is horrible!! I'm so sorry. I can't believe someone wouldn't stop if they hit her, but I guess it happens. Could it have been anything she ate? I guess with the blood it sounds like a car.

10. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] I'm so very sorry for your loss of your beloved dog, that's so sad. I too hope someone didnt hit her and leave her [​IMG]. Sending warm thoughts to you and yours

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by