my dog stinks

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bufforp89, Nov 18, 2010.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    like he really smells bad....he is a 10 year old mastiffXpit, goes to the vet on the regular (monthly) for a shot to control a flea allergy but has bad skin anyways...and now durring the past few weeks he has started to smell...not that bad at first but now its like wet dog x10 [​IMG] any suggestions as to what can be done before? I obviously need to talk to his vet but his next appt is like a month away and I hate to waste money on an extra office visit.....so any home remedies, shampoos, anything anyone can suggest? he is getting a bath in a few mins but seems to start stinking a few hours right after...

[​IMG]

2. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    ever try baking soda in bath water? it helps to clean and deoderize everything else under the sun so I would assume you could use it on a dog. Perfectly safe too.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Maybe switching his food might help. After an oatmeal/shampoo wash I will add a bit of tea tree oil to my hands and rub on the dogs.
    Try some antibacterial dog shampoo.Green apple one from walmart was good.

Could also give some probiotics.Lifeway kefir is cheap.

Maybe infection in the ears?

4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    After a shampoo maybe try a vinegar rinse.

5. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Does he smell yeasty?

6. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Check his picky glands - you can express them yourself or have a groomer or the vet do it - and check his teeth and ears. Any buildup, swelling, redness in any of those areas can cause that doggy smell. Also, what is he eating right now? A switch to a better food can address ALL those problems.

7. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I have a 71/2 month old terrier/cocker pup that has terrible skin, and used to have yeasty ears (which medication seems to have helped a lot). He starts to stink about 3-4 days after a bath. I've started him on a grain-free diet (ToTW Field & stream, because I think he's allergic to poultry), and I've been bathing him with a shampoo "guarenteed" to stop itchy, flaky, stinky skin. I think the brand is Equis, but I'll have to check on that. I found this site, and it has some suggestions on home remedies for smelly dogs. Hope it helps.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/824643/dog_shampoo_substitutes.html?cat=53

Called
    home - the shampoo I've been using is called "Eqyss Micro Tek". Smells pretty good, and seems to help. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  8. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    It sounds like he's got a skin yeast or bacterial infection on his skin. Probably worth a trip to the vet to get the correct diagnosis.

9. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

ears, mouth or hiney... all can get stinky. Could have an ear infection, could have a gum or tooth issue(older dogs esp) or he might need his picky glands expressed. Sniff around and see if you can narrow down one area that smells worse than the others. Dont let anybody see you sniffing his hiney [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by