My dog treed a raccoon this afternoon!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by they'reHISchickens, Dec 13, 2009.

1. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Our 100# dog Cleo has been barking unusually often the past two days. I've been hushing her, but this afternoon, cold and sleeting as it was, i gave up and opened the door for her. She zoomed out and I had just enough time to see her chase a large grey/brown varmint behind the house. By the time I grabbed my coat and followed, she had treed a large raccoon! DH got the firearm and dispensed with the varmint. It was no less than 20 feet from our front door and the open chicken coop when Cleo chased it! In Broad Daylight.... albeit steady rain/sleet. Chickens had ranged in the trees there yesterday but today had stuck much closer to their coop.
    Now we all know mice come in pairs. Do raccoons?
    ps... Cleo, we love you!

2. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Yes, they do. We had 3 on our roof last spring. Thank God they did not stay very long!!!

3. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    What kind of dog is Cleo?

Our dogs tree squirrels all the time. It's funny as heck because the squirrels will start chirping and spitting squirrel obscenities at the dogs. They'll get down the trunk and a foot away from the tree and the dog just sits there and waits. Then pow chases it back up the tree. I've woken up several times at 7am to a squirrel shouting at the dogs.

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good dog.

And yes when there is one there is usually 2,3,4... etc.

I caught a raccon in the act of eating the chicken food since it could not get to the chickens in my chicken tractor. But he was not alone, there was 4 of them.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you see one raccoon, you can count on at least 1 to 4 more.

6. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    Good DOG fire up the grill if you dont like coon the DOG will love it and be looking for more

7. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Ours treed 3 in one night and they are gone now! We killed 6 in two weeks and on and on they go! We have learned the " Look Look a coon in the tree" bark.The last time she had them up 3 diffeent trees![​IMG]

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Good cheap way to up your protein for the chooks and lower your feed bill at the same time! [​IMG] Give Cleo a good hunk roasted and give the chooks the body gutted. They will clean it out. My 24 can consume a large cabbage in 30 min. That dead coon would not last over a day in my run. Bet they would eat the eyes first. [​IMG] I would do the same thing if I caught a snake too. Why wste good protein that has fallen into your lap so to speak?

9. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Sounds like a good idea, Overrun! I've bnever had coon, myself but I'm getting interested to try it. For you folks that eat racoons and possums, is there any diseases that humans, dogs, or chickens have to worry about getting from the COOKED meat?

10. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    I been eating coon for 45 years,,baked,roasted,stewed,good eatin,, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by