My dogs are surprising me.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by laseterlass, Jun 24, 2011.

1. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I have a large Mastiff/rott/lab and a JRT. I also have a coven of Ravens intent upon my 6 week olds.

Ever since the second time the Ravens came in chasing them. At least one of my dogs insists upon being out when the chicks are free ranging, our yard is a city lot, about 6000 sq feet. They do not bother them at all Just snooze in the sun close by. These dogs used to pitch a fit about being left out by themselves, now they cry by the door if I try to keep them in.

The Mutt I can almost understand wanting to be around them, Rotts and Mastiffs are LFG. But the Jack? They are often blood thirsty little killers of everything that moves. Just wanted to spread the word about my awesome dogs.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That's great. What is "LFG"?

3. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Quote:LOL :pSorry LGD. Livestock Gaurdian Dog. My Bad.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    My dog loves our turkeys.
    [​IMG]
    They like him too.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Oh - I wondered if that's what you meant! I did not know that about Rott's. I've been looking to adopt a dog sometime in the near future and there is one at my local shelter that is a Rott X. Very attractive dog but I wasn't sure if he'd be good around the chooks. I'm glad to know that's in their nature.

6. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Quote:The original rott was bred to mind and move the sheep for the Roman army as it it traveled and conquered. They herd sheep with their shoulder. Running from a well bred rott means rather than being bitten you will be shoved over. LOL. I had a wonderful male I had rescued that could not be outside with small children. They ran, he bumped, they caught air! Kids hated him! LOL.

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    My daughter's old aussie was complaining while standing at the patio door.
    Then DD realized there was a hawk after the babies outside.
    Good girl Kayla!!!! We didn't think she noticed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by