My dogs killed 5 of my Neighbors chickens!

domino2339

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
Michigan
I was out hunting tonight and my mother in law was home watching my kids and my dogs. My mother in law took the kids outside and my dogs pushed passed and ran out the front door. They have never did this before. When I got home, I apologize and offered money to replace the chickens. I know how much it sucks I own chickens my self. The thing is. There chickens have me teasing my dog for a long while. They free range and there chickens are in my yard 80% of the time. The other neighbors and I have told them to keep them in there yard countless of times. But to get to the point. I'm sorry it happen. 4 out of 5 chickens were giving to her for free and the 5th was a meat bird that should have be taken out months ago. I ask what she was think I could give her to help replace the birds and she told me $150. I have help this person out numbers of time with money and items. I'm really sorry about what happen, and I want to pay her something but that's way to much.

They chased them out but ended up doing the deed in there yard. I have a fenced in back yard and a dog run just for them and they went out the front. There Isn't a fence to stop them

Last edited:
If your dogs had broken into the coop/run and killed the chickens, then yes absolutely you should pay for the lost birds. However, if the birds were not contained, the owner had to know that the flock was at risk of being killed by predators. It just so happened that the predators were your dogs.

If you are asking for opinions..., I would pay them. You offered to pay and so you should 'own' that offer no matter the cost. No matter the circumstances of how your neighbor got their birds, or what you have done for them in he past, the fact is your dogs killed her chickens.

Not taking sides..., just my $.02.

Last edited:
Did those birds lay golden eggs or something? I get $20 for a regular point of lay pullet. I'll maybe push it to $25 for an in demand breed like a Legbar, but that sounds excessive. I'd give her $100 and otherwise sever ties.

Sounds reasonable. I would also ask the neighbors to keep their birds on their own property. Period. From a biosecurity standpoint, having random chickens, from unknown sources, strolling all over your yard is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Did those birds lay golden eggs or something? I get $20 for a regular point of lay pullet. I'll maybe push it to $25 for an in demand breed like a Legbar, but that sounds excessive. I'd give her $100 and otherwise sever ties.
Sounds reasonable. I would also ask the neighbors to keep their birds on their own property. Period. From a biosecurity standpoint, having random chickens, from unknown sources, strolling all over your yard is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Back
Top Bottom