1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My dogs killed my chickens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by all-cracked-up, Feb 23, 2009.

1. all-cracked-up

all-cracked-up Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    NW Oregon
    Anyone have any luck breaking dogs from killing ckickens with electric fence/shock collar? My dogs killed all sixteen of my chickens and now I have to start over![​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Those are punishment or negative feedback training methods. I have 4 dogs, one cat and 5 chickens. All free range. The dogs and cat ignore the chickens. I train with rewards, mostly just verbal "good girl" type of rewards, along with "no" or "stay away" types of commands. The "pro" dog trainers use treats as well, but I am too lazy for that. But I agree with them that negative feedback methods only teach fear and/or aggression, rather than cooperation with the pack leader, who must be YOU.

In my experience, dogs see chickens as playthings, and kill during play, for the most part. This is probably not true of feral packs, though; they have learned to hunt for a living.

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    ugg sorry to hear that ive had some dog problems recently also,my Grandpa used to say once a dog started killing there wasnt much you could do but get rid of it,one more pullet and im gonna SSS

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    not with shock collar, but done it with consistency, common sense and a lot of time/ patience.

At first you have to get your dog get use to the chicken and vice versa. Never let it go for a run unsupervised, walk him with you on leash when you feed and water the bird, quick correction every single time he shows interest in the birds.

5. Kansas Chicken Mama

Kansas Chicken Mama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2008
    St. Paul
    Quote:Our miniature schnauzer killed one of our chicks when they were in the house before the hubby got a top on the brooder. When we were given 12 1 yr old cochins, we purchased a shock collar and it only took twice for him to decide running after them was a bad idea. It was also set on a very low setting. That was October and we've had no troubles since. Our hound/lab mix stays in a cage in the backyard where the chickens free range and I was sure that she would go after them when we let her out but other than having a taste for the eggs (grrrrr) she gives them no trouble. I'm sorry for your loss, I know that having one critter you love get another is very hard. Buster, the schnauzer, knew he was in trouble and belly crawled away the second the husband caught him getting the baby in the house. We didn't spank him because it was our fault but we did lay the bird in front of him several times and tell him it was a "no, no, bad dog". He goes to the opposite side of the room anytime I have new chicks around now.

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    What breed of dogs do you own?

7. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I think maybe penning the chickens for a bit while the dog gets used to them being around. You might not be able to ever trust the dog with htem.

I have a Border Collie and 3 cats. None of them bother the chickens, but I also never leave them unattended together. Same as I never left the dog alone with the kid.

8. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    breed doesnt matter my pitbull will not kill a flea but my pug killed 3 turkeys and 1 hen
    Quote:

9. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I feel for you. My neighbors lab mix came over yesterday and killed one of my silkies andmy fayoumi yesterday. He came over and apoligized and offered to pay ofr them. We are friends with this neighbor and he was truely upset. I told him it was ok. This one time was an accident but if it became a reoccuring problem then it WOULD be a problem. I cant complain to much right now. He has given me alot of the wood i have used to build my coops.

10. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:
    I don't think The Chicken Lady is looking for dogs the media portrays as dangerous or bloodthirsty, sometimes knowing the breed can help solve a problem. One would use a different approach for a sight hound versus a herding breed since different things can trigger their prey drive. How old were your chickens All-Cracked-Up? Our 2 dogs and 3 cats were very interested when our girls were just chicks but they stay well away even the adult bantams. (those little birds don"t play [​IMG] ) Good luck!!! I am no dog or chicken expert just trying to help solve a problem that could have been me. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by