my dogs poop in the backyard...will my chickens eat it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by da-cajun-angla, Feb 29, 2008.

1. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    i want to let my chickens roam the backyard, but im worried that they will eat dog poop...should i worry?
    thanks,
    shaun

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I think chickens can get worms if the dogs have worms. My chickens try to eat dog poop all the time so I have to supervise when they free range

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    well my dogs eat chicken poop - so it is only fair to let the chickens eat dog poop LOL

only kidding I would be worried if the dogs get worms the chickens will get them not to mention if you kiss your chickens they will have butt breath LOL

Julie

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Never thought about it from that viewpoint--My concern has been dogs eating chicken poop [​IMG]

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Mine trys to eat pieces of roof shingle left over from the hurricanes-- so I would have to vote "YES!". [​IMG]

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My chickens don't touch the stuff. I do clean the yard every day though...but still, if they see it, they keep away from it. [​IMG]

7. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I have never seen my chickens eat dog poop! Hope it stays that way! Now, if I can get my dog to quit eating chicken poop, I'd be so happy.[​IMG]

8. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I don't think the chickens eating dog ..... is bad, it is the dog eating chicken..... that is bad, my vet told me a dog could get sick eating theirs.

I imagine if it was harmful for the chicken he would have told me since he offered his comments about the dog,

[​IMG]

9. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Ok maybe I'm the only one on here w/weird birds, but YES, my birds scratch through the dog poop just like they scratch through anything else. It's pretty nasty, but it makes for great fertilzer for the grass. I *never* thought about the worm thing though...but aren't they different KINDS of worms? And I worm my dogs so obsessively I doubt I have much to worry about there. I have never noticed the dogs eating chicken poo though....guess we have a role reversal in this household! [​IMG]
    Then again...one might want to note---the poop here is like that of a horse/elephant as I have great danes....

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  10. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Your dogs will definitely eat chicken poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by