1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gaited horse, Aug 26, 2008.

1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    i need help with my dogs digging does any one have shock collar i can borrow

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Digging as to escape? or digging to have a cool place to lay down in?

Some dogs are just diggers. When we first got our Great Pyr from a rescue shelter (in Texas), we called him the Gardening Assistant....

Then we realized he was really looking for a way to keep cool. So we hollowed out a small space in a shady area of our yard. We would hose down the area during summer and he really loved it.

As far as the shock collar goes, we never had much luck with them in the past. I guess that depends on the dog too. We used to have a dog that we thought would misbehave just to get the shock.. [​IMG]

3. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    no they dig a hole then leave it and go lay down in the sun

4. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Fill up water ballons with half vinegar/ half water and put it in the holes they have made, and cover back up with dirt when dogs arent looking. Most dogs will dig in the same place again. *Dig Dig Dig Dig Dig POP* Very unpleasant. It will take several "rounds" of popping vinegar ballons for them to associate digging with the unpleasant expeirence.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    That crazy squeaky lady in the spandex on animal planet says you should make room for them to dig holes, whether it be a sandbox or what-have-you. Some dogs were bred for that sort of thing. Just fence off a section and bury some toys for them. Then they should just dig in that area.

Good luck.

6. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    A garden spray bottle filled with water and vinager works too. Ours digs when her pool water gets too warm for her taste.

7. Jaimi

Jaimi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2008
    North Central Alabama
    If you'r a male, or have a male in the family, pee in the holes. Serously, it works! Its a territorial thing...[​IMG]

8. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I just fill in the holes and forget it. Usually they are after a mole or something only they can hear, at least with my dogs.

I have read that putting pepper in the area they are digging causes them to sneeze so much they quit. Never tried it.

My yard looks like small landmines went off all over, if it isn't the dogs, it is the cats or the rooster... who made HUGE holes. I try not to trip in them before I can fill them. [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    glowworm..great advice!....i'll have to remember it...Wendy

10. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    will try the water ballons and i have to say my yard has dog land mines

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by