My dominate rooster was killed by a neighbor dog!

eggcited1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
Illinois
I lost my rooster to a neighbor dog. He was trying to protect the chickens and was killed. I have 2 other Roos and neither of them are crowing anymore. Would they be mourning the loss of Joshua? They used to all 3 crow. It's sad that I live on 6 acres and have to worry about the **** neighbor dog and free ranging. I have 2 dogs on electric fence and they can't get close to the coop.

I would tell the owner of the dog if you see it in your yard again you will take care of it permanently. Call the police and animal control first if you are worried about repercussions so a complaint will be recorded. In SC we have a right to protect ourselves and our livestock. If your dog has threatened me or killed my chickens in my yard I can shoot your dog then call animal control and you can be charged for a crime and have to pay for any damage or losses. if you can't bring yourself to do it call Animal control in the county you live in and they will probably set traps out for free. Then the owner will have to pay to get them out of the pound. People have a responsibility to keep their animals under control. "Your dog in your yard is a pet your dog in my yard is a predator."

I just realized I was blinded by anger at the dog's owner and did not answer your question. The Roosters should start crowing again soon, yes they could be mourning and they're also probably establishing who is the dominant rooster now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom