My Dominique acts fine but is losing feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SchatzelFlock, Dec 17, 2012.

1. SchatzelFlock

SchatzelFlock New Egg

Oct 28, 2012
    I'm a little concerned about my dominique, her name is Twilight. She is acting fine, maybe a little less social but still peppy and keeps up with the other chickens, but she is losing feathers. Could she be molting? She was born in April I think, she so is around 9 months old, is that too young to molt? Also the winter seems to be an odd time to start molting, but I'm really not sure. I've been watching them and I know the other chickens aren't picking on her. Should I be concerned or is this normal chicken behavior?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Some hens go through a mini molt at around 9 months and some do a big molt during their first winter. I wish I knew why they pick winter though. Summer would make more sense! LOL

3. SchatzelFlock

SchatzelFlock New Egg

Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks for the info! I feel a lot better now, I hate to pick favorites in my flock... but lets just say this girl is the one who likes to be hand fed, be hugged, and when she was a little chick she always came to me to fall asleep on my lap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by