1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Dominique acts fine but is losing feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SchatzelFlock, Dec 17, 2012.

1. SchatzelFlock

SchatzelFlock New Egg

Oct 28, 2012
    I'm a little concerned about my dominique, her name is Twilight. She is acting fine, maybe a little less social but still peppy and keeps up with the other chickens, but she is losing feathers. Could she be molting? She was born in April I think, she so is around 9 months old, is that too young to molt? Also the winter seems to be an odd time to start molting, but I'm really not sure. I've been watching them and I know the other chickens aren't picking on her. Should I be concerned or is this normal chicken behavior?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Some hens go through a mini molt at around 9 months and some do a big molt during their first winter. I wish I knew why they pick winter though. Summer would make more sense! LOL

3. SchatzelFlock

SchatzelFlock New Egg

Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks for the info! I feel a lot better now, I hate to pick favorites in my flock... but lets just say this girl is the one who likes to be hand fed, be hugged, and when she was a little chick she always came to me to fall asleep on my lap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by