1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Dominique Easter Egger mix. Is she a Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickatist, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Chickatist

Chickatist Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2013
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I hatched a Domique hen and Easter Egger Roo egg and she is now 6 weeks old. She looks like a hen to me, but makes vocalizations like a rooster. What sex is she? Does anyone else have pics of what this mix looks like fully grown? The last pic is of her with a 6 week old Welsummer I'm pretty sure is a roo as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FFFAviaries

FFFAviaries Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    Welsummer is definitely a cockerel. It is a little harder to tell at this age, but based on the pictures, I think your cross is likely a cockerel.

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I answered your other post but basically, your chick is a form of black sex link and it's a cockerel because the hen is barred (Dominique) and can only pass the barring gene to her male offspring, so this barred chick has to be male.

4. Chickatist

Chickatist Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2013
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Thank you both. Yes, I posted here after realizing I had posted in the wrong place. I really appreciate your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by