My Doorstop (Warning: Graphic Picture) UPDATE WHERE THE RAT TAIL WENT!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Morgan7782, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Well.. This was interesting.. Alright this morning I opened the front door to let in some cool air, and as usual put a chair in front of the door to keep it open. Just a minute ago my mom calls me "Kalie.. Kalie..! Come here!" So I go, thinking my Chunky Man cat is on top of the brooder or something. Well, when I get to the front door my mom says "Did you notice anything when you opened the front door?" I shook my head, confused, but now noticed the door was not held open by the chair. Something UNDER the door was holding it open. Something that looked like... A dead rat. Or mouse. I don't know the difference. It was a dead RODENT of some kind. Appearently my cat killed it and brought it inside as a 'present' and I had accidentally used the carcass as a doorstop. I am feeling a mixed emotion of [​IMG] [​IMG] and [​IMG] LOL!

My Chunky Man, either him or my younger cat Sampson, has a successful hunt this morning. The rodent must have been around the chicken feed, only thing I can think of. WHY do cats insist on bringing their prize HOME?! I mean yes I petted both cats and told them thank you, but dang.. I wish cats were greedy with their kills and disposed of them! This summer has been one to remember. Both cats are hunting rats, rodents, and birds like crazy, and catching all of the above. Chunky Man will not touch my chickens, but he is one heck of a hunter! It's a good thing I know, but I just had to share lol. Anybody know if this is a rat or mouse???

[​IMG]

I have NO clue which of my two cats did it, so here are pictures of both. This is Sampson
    [​IMG]

This is Chunky Man. BOTH are proven hunters and dern good at it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

That is NO MOUSE! I can't tell it's size beyond hat from that pic, but I'd say rat. Tail's too short for a muskrat, too skinny for an opossum, so probably a rat. Oh, and I'd give Chunky Man a special treat!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  3. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Definitely rat, I defrost enough of them to know. XD I have about 80 of them in my freezer atm for comparison if you need it XD Good job kitty!

They also ate part of the tail from the looks of it. Whoever it was definitely had a blast playing with it.

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    It was so much smaller then the other rat they brought home. Must have been a baby. At least I won't have to worry about a rodent problem LOL with these two cats around! Looks like they chewed on it's tail a bit too, wonder why? Can't imagine that tasted good but who knows?

Chunky Man was so proud, I think it was him because Sampson tends to devour his entire kills. Chunky usually leaves the liver or kidney on my front porch, but man this time he felt generous enough to leave the whole rat I guess hahaha

5. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    RAT pet the kittays, they did a great job!!! [​IMG]
    Slinky

6. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:Ahaha, I read your mind. [​IMG]

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    RAT! [​IMG] Gosh, Chunky Man sure is chunky, isn't he. [​IMG]

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

WHY do cats insist on bringing their prize HOME?! I mean yes I petted both cats and told them thank you, but dang..

I have a cat like that too. I have to check to see if he is carrying anything before I let him in the house. Usually he brings voles but last summer he came to the front door and meowed to come in ~ I didn't notice at the time that he was carrying a live large green frog he had grabbed by the pond. He dropped it in the middle of the living room where it promptly hopped under the couch. DH enjoyed watching me try to catch the frog with assistance of our 2 GSDs. The frog was safely returned to the pond.​

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LOL!! Live animals are the worst! Sampson brought in a bird that he hadn't yet killed, and was playing with it inside the house! It was chaotic for a moment here haha.

Yep, Chunky Man is aptly named [​IMG] He is an awesome cat who is a real survivor. He was attacked by a coyote a few years ago, and he has has abcesses on his head and stomach from cat fights (he was very territorial when we lived in the country. Now in the city he doesn't fight thank gosh!!) And he came through it all with flying colors.

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    So much for the theory people have that you shouldn't feed cats to make them better hunters. Your kitties don't look like they have missed any meals. [​IMG]
    Good Kitties!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by