My Dorking Cockbird's wattle won't stop bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KittieChick, Feb 25, 2015.

1. KittieChick

KittieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2014
    Wake Forest, NC
    I think that this past week, my Dorking cock's wattles must have frozen together. He'd been staying in quarantine, so no nipple waterer available.

I wasn't aware of injury to his wattle. Today I moved the trio to their new digs, and that broke open the old wound. At 4 pm I took my bird to the vet because I couldn't get it to stop bleeding.

The vet tried cautery sticks, stop powder, and wrapping his wattles with sterile gauze and vet wrap. Of course, within an hour, his wattles are flying free, and the drip drip drip of blood continues.

Is there anything to be done, other than prayer (which I'm doing), to help that wattle stop bleeding? It's 9:48 pm, and of course we're expecting snow. :(

I have Willis in a crate, covered for quiet. Poor bird.

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    SO sorry to hear [​IMG], but i think you've done all you can for now (including prayer).

3. KittieChick

KittieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2014
    Wake Forest, NC

Thank you, he's hanging out in the house in a smallish crate with food and water. Seems to have coagulated- finally! The overnight crate smelled like we'd been processing, all that blood.

I'll keep him confined for at least today and tonight and keep an eye on him. What a nightmare, and we're getting into single digits Saturday night also!

I moved the nipple waterer into the Dorkings' pen, which is what I should have done in the first place. Poor Willis.:rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by