My Drake appears to be bearing down?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KAZROB, Feb 26, 2014.

1. KAZROB

KAZROB Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Hi everyone,

I would like to know a couple of things in reference to Drakes and please excuse my ignorance:

1. Is it normal for a drake not to fertilise when his two lady friends ladies have had babies? I have noticed he has gone from fertilising as frequent as he was, to what appears to be zero now, I am thinking it may have something to do with them being mums at the moment? Or could it be more like something is wrong?

2. Also do drakes wee? I know they poop a lot. I ask this as I have noticed over this last week that my darling boy appears to be bearing down, almost like he is trying to lay an egg or pass something or weeing? I know it is not an egg, but I don't quite know how to explain it, other than a bearing down like motion. I haven't noticed this before, but then I am not always out there. I haven't noticed him just pooping freely as they do either. Twice after he has had this bearing down motion I went and had a look and their was just a dark green bit of stuff in a small patch? Poop?. then today I went and had a look when I seen him do it again and there appeared to be nothing....does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to be worried, he is a beautiful, gentle boy and not that old maybe a year old or just under a year.....

Cheers

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    That "bearing down" I think could be a sign of penis prolapse. But if that's happening, you will see a penis obviously sticking out. Some of that is totally normal in the excretion process. I think all the duck's wastes are excreted as fecal material. (Poop). So I would just keep an eye on your drake.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would watch him closely. Some of my thoughts are (in no order)

give him probiotics - his gut could be out of balance
    if it is winter where you are, is he getting enough grit (more of a concern if he gets non-pelleted feed)
    could he have an abdominal infection? A vet should be able to help with that

I am aware of a case of a duck having swelling in his abdomen due to some hormonal surges, causing problems. It can be a serious problem but is usually seen in older drakes if I recall.

Could he have ingested something and his digestive tract is impacted? For that you may want to give him some coconut oil. It may lubricate the insides, and it is an anti-yeast food, so if he were having that kind of trouble it may help.

4. KAZROB

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks so much for the reply's...yes I am going to try and use the oil. another friend told me about this on BYC too! :) Well I have grit down, but I don't see him eating it, they are fed organic grains, with a mixture of dry grasses added all my flock get this, but I also offer pallets daily in a tub as well and I do see him eating this....I will keep an eye on him, I am off to work today and I will let you know how I go

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    See if you can sprinkle a little grit in a bowl of mashed peas or something he might like.

6. KAZROB

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    l will do that, my chickens eat it and I also throw it out as a scratch, but the ducks are not that interested..but as I give him peas and other treats, then that may work and I will also add the oil, cant do any harm. Also whilst I am here do ducks need to have calcium, or do they get that from the grit? I have been told recently that not only do they need Niacin, but human calcium? Is this something I should be doing too?

Thanks for your advice and help it is much appreciated :)

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Your laying ducks need calcium, which can be provided by crushed oyster shell on the side. This way they can eat what they like while your babies and the males of your flock can just eat their regular food. Male birds and babies don't need the extra calcium that's in layer feeds, so this is the best way to handle calcium in a mixed flock.

2 people like this.
  8. KAZROB

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks Subhanalah. I always appreciate your advice from this side of the world! Trust all is well with you and yours...

Kaz

9. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I have four baby chicks since you had your duckling leg problems. I just couldn't wait until may for my ducks, and saw a picture of a teenage silkie...that sealed the deal and I said I AM getting chickens! I'll be getting some silkie hatching eggs on Sunday for a sack of scratch and some meal worms lol.

How is your drake doing? Any new developments?

10. KAZROB

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    My drake appears OK, no new developments, but I am not sure what to do..I seen him bear down once today and tomorrow I have much to do outside in the paddock where they are, so I will see how many times and if in fact he is doing it all the time? I have some oil to put in his food such as his treat of peas. I noticed today that he appears to have lost feathers? I cut one wing quite a long time ago and so I need to inspect more closely when I can catch him, he is quiet and gentle but he doesn't come to me, he was so scared when he first came, but is much more friendly but not enough to handle :( I think I should know more tomorrow when I am outside for most of the day! My keets are doing nicely, they are such fast little things! Their foster mum is doing a fab job...So glad to hear that you have added to your family. I like the bartering concept, sounds great silky hatching eggs = a sack of scratch and some meal worms.....how fabulous! I very much love this type of concept, we should do it more! Let me know how your hatching eggs go :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by