My drake has changed his diet

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Sep 14, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

The prick of a drake found two dead mice in two day and gulped them down before I've got them away from him. Best the girls are chasing him down trying to steal the mouse he has. There is just no way of getting him. Not sure what to make out of it, and I hope he does not get an issue with eating them. My cat is actually the culprit of the whole thing. She kills at night and just leaves the bodies laying around outside. Our property is way to large to search for dead bodies in the morning, and she had no particular spot to leave them. Has anyone the same problem? Do have to worry about him eating mice? Crazy ducks.

2. peachie

peachie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    lol my guys love to eat mice we catch them in a live trap then feed them they go crazy as long as there is no poison around that may have killed the mice i would let them enjoy my big boy even kills rats though he has not worked out how to eat them yet (i take them of him if i find them )

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Mice, lizards, bugs...it's all part of a wild duck's diet. I wouldn't worry about it unless someone is using poison on the local rodents.

If it makes you feel better, my cat kills mice too but likes to deposit the bodies at the foot of our recliner. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  4. Pigeonrh

Pigeonrh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    I field dead mice in my pasture almost daily from the ducks and geese munchin on them lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by