1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My drake has lost his quack (voice)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nebraskagirl, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Our drake lost his quack (voice) right before Christmas. (Just so you know, I know there is a difference between a duck and drake noise and yes he has had a normal raspy, quiet quack drakes have.) He has been eating ok and drinking fine. He walks fine and active, with no drainage to the eyes and nostrils. He grooms himself and otherwise acts normal. He will make a "cough" sound every now and then, not frequently though. He opens his mouth like normal to make his quack but nothing comes out :(

We live in Nebraska and the weather has been quite cold, especially last week with temps in the single digits at night. It has warmed a bit, not much. I put them inside a small duckhouse at night with hay, no heat lamp. They are protected and have ventilation and fresh water and fresh feed every day and are free ranging during the day. He is a Khaki Campbell and was born this past spring. I also have a Welsh Harlequin duck and she has NO symptoms and is completely healthy.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Any chance he might have gapeworm, an early case? Just a guess.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by