1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my drake.. is better.. maybe..?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesduckies, Jan 5, 2011.

1. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    he used to be no nice and loving but he's mean now!!! i don't even want to let him out anymore cuz he keeps attacking me! is there anything i can do?? i love him sooo much i don't want to have to give him up but he's leaning toward not being able to handle him! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    NO! That is aweful [​IMG] How old is the monster?

3. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    he's about a year

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Drakes can be like roos - you need to show him who is boss. A good foot lift toss across the yard could do it. Mine was scared to death of the flashlight. Now I don't even have to carry it. He still won't let me pick him up, but he does follow me around quacking at me.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG] Im Sorry. I had to look Monty up he got so bad. But he is behaving himself a little better. You will find it is hormonal and will be worse at different times of the year. Is he still by himself with Quackers? Or are Alicia, Fruitloops and Little foot in there as well?

6. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Debi, my dad had tried the kicking thing and it just makes him even more mad and he comes back wings flapping and charging lol kinda funny but i feel bad for my drake. poor baby.

he is with quackers. he's nice to her. i am wondering if he might be jealous cuz i play with alicia and fruitloops more now cuz they don't attack..? do ducks have jealousy issues?

7. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

I find that my drake has these same temper tantrums at different times of the year/cycle that his mate is in. When she is getting ready to lay or even has laid an egg, he acts just like you do, fluffy up his feathers, charging, head down full throttle ahead, even my Great Dane is scared of him!! I agree hormonal thing and it will probably get worse as spring gets closer. But once my female stops laying/cycling and I've collected the eggs he isn't nearly as mean we can actually walk along with him and past him, but I know when she is about ready to lay just by his protective territorial behavior. My drake is almost a year old himself, sometime late March he will be 1yrs old.

8. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    mine gets mean when she is laying eggs too i can always tell when she is laying cuz he gets meaner. she has a bunch of eggs in the house right now that she got off of (i need to clean them up LOL but he scares me LOL) i am trying to build up the nerve to go in there and get them lol maybe he will calm down a bit if i do? thanks guys.

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    How does he react to your Mom or Dad?? Just wondering..so we can work out if it is specifically you, because you hand raised him...or just all people he would go for.

10. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I know with my roosters when they start attacking me I do not kick or hurt them. I always hurry up and grab them and pet them and carry them around for about 10 minutes. When I put them back down they don't want anything to do with me. I broke a RIR that way, not I'm working on a lavender orpington roo that insists on jumping on me every chance he gets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by