1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

My drake is mating with my chicken hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lexiredhead, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lexiredhead

lexiredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    HI everyone! PLease help me! I have two drakes and two female hens and they are mating. I am so afraid they will get hurt. Should I get two females , a goose to try and stop them mating, or a rooster? Thank you so much!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You need to separate your hens and you drakes immediately!! Male ducks can cause fatal injuries to hens during mating!

3. lexiredhead

Sep 28, 2014
    they are seperated now. Please tell me what to do

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2!

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They won't stop the mating, thats what drakes do. Perhaps rehome one of the drakes and get him a hen?

6. lexiredhead

Sep 28, 2014
    sorry what does x2 mean? can I get Two females and a rooster

7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    It just means they agree with the post they quoted so x 2 people saying the same thing. Quicker than typing a reply that basically just repeats another.

8. lexiredhead

Sep 28, 2014
    oh thank you:D

9. lexiredhead

Sep 28, 2014
    So what should I do? Sorry I am just don't want anything to happen to them

10. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

If all you have are two drakes and no other ducks you need to get females for your drakes. With two that would mean that you would need, at a minimum, 8 females. Other options include making a separate pen for the drakes and keep them away from your hens (chickens). Getting rid of one drake and getting 4 female ducks for the one you keep. Getting a goose will only compound the problem and, if you are not sincere in wanting a goose, that is the last thing you need. Getting a rooster might help a bit but will probably end with either the rooster or the drakes being seriously hurt.

The physiology of ducks and chickens are very different. Ducks (drakes) have a penis, roosters do not. The mating process is equally violent between the two but a female chicken is not designed to be penetrated and it can be fatal to her.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by