My Drake just laid an egg

Waddles and Dawdles Mom

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2021
Hi all this is my first post, I have a couple of Black Swedish Ducks. I thought I had 2 males then about 2 months ago I found an egg! So it turned out Waddles was female and Dawdles was male. Waddles has laid 2 eggs per day for 6 weeks even through her bumble foot infection. I saw them having sex and Dawdles would let her get on top, I guess duck foreplay..lol Then tonight I go out to feed them and Dawdles wasn't interested, I thought he looks like Waddles when she hangs on to her egg. I watched him go over to the water pail and lay an egg!!! How is this possible? It was soft shell both of Waddles are always hard shell and I watched her lay both eggs most days. Can a male duck lay eggs? I have noticed he hasn't got on top since her bandage came off 2 weeks ago. I just thought they did it when I wasn't there. I'm kind of stunned right now I must say. There is the size difference between them Dawdles is slightly bigger with green and black bill. Anybody else have something like this happen?

Hi all this is my first post, I have a couple of Black Swedish Ducks. I thought I had 2 males then about 2 months ago I found an egg! So it turned out Waddles was female and Dawdles was male. Waddles has laid 2 eggs per day for 6 weeks even through her bumble foot infection. I saw them having sex and Dawdles would let her get on top, I guess duck foreplay..lol Then tonight I go out to feed them and Dawdles wasn't interested, I thought he looks like Waddles when she hangs on to her egg. I watched him go over to the water pail and lay an egg!!! How is this possible? It was soft shell both of Waddles are always hard shell and I watched her lay both eggs most days. Can a male duck lay eggs? I have noticed he hasn't got on top since her bandage came off 2 weeks ago. I just thought they did it when I wasn't there. I'm kind of stunned right now I must say. There is the size difference between them Dawdles is slightly bigger with green and black bill. Anybody else have something like this happen?
Can you get a photo of your "drake" please? Drakes can't lay eggs, and female are known to mount each other for sun sometimes. Its likely you have two females, and Dawdles has been laying for a while.
You actually watched Waddles lay both eggs? Your certain one wasn't from Dawdles?

A drake does not have the correct organs to produce eggs and if "he" did he would not be a true drake, but a hermaphrodite which is just about as rare as a single duck laying two eggs per day. There is a 99.9% chance that you have two females. Females can have both a green sheen to their feathers along with some discoloration on their bill (caused by sun exposure and hormone changes). Females will avidly mount each other especially if there are no males. As far as size goes females can be different sizes even if they are the same breed from the same parents just like with people...I'm 5'4 and my sisters are all 5'8-5'10 (yes I got the very short end of the stick).

Back
Top Bottom