My Drake.. Master of His Domain?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AbigailJazz, Aug 19, 2016.

1. AbigailJazz

AbigailJazz New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Hey guys!
    I'm a Newbie to being a Duck Parent and I have a quick question, hoping you guys might be able to give me some insight!
    I have 2 Pekins that are 6 months old Male and Female. About a month a go my Drake (Jazz) started playing with my shoes when I would go into the backyard with them. What started out as playing has turned onto a problem. He will not let me be in the yard
    without biting at my ankles and shoes. I am afraid I am going to hurt him because he stays under my feet even when I walk and it constantly untying my shoes plus it hurts too. My Female (Abigail) as started laying eggs during this time and I feel this maybe a dominance thing he is doing. Any insight to his behavior would be great and also if there is a way to make him stop. TIA[​IMG]

2. SAustin

SAustin Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Tennessee
    Funny! My boys started doing the same thing. I simply would tell them "no" sternly and just reach down to redirect them. I'd literally pick them up, turn them around set them down facing the opposite direction. They stopped after a week. It only started once they got their mating plumage in so I attributed that to them wanting to keep their territory free of "strangers" so it's that much more welcoming should a lady come around to make babies [​IMG]

3. AbigailJazz

AbigailJazz New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    You know, I have been doing the same thing, picking him and send him off in the opposite direction, but he will quickly turn back around and go straight for my feet. I will continue with the redirecting and maybe it will sink in. LOL Most of the time I have to put him in the coop or carry him around with me while I am change their water and feeding them. I am hoping this behavior will pass with a little time.....but I'm just not sure [​IMG]

4. SAustin

SAustin Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Tennessee
    I hope it does too! I know those nips can get painful quick...

5. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I would just agnore him and act like you don't notice and then he might just give up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by