My Drakes are nasty.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CrazyFowlFreak, Jun 20, 2010.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    They are doing the head down zoom after all of the other birds I have, even the Peafowl. The two of them have been pinning down my poor 10 week old Pekin girls and taking turns with them. My BLE is looking ragged and roughed up, too. These two bullies are those Gold Hybrid ducks. How do I stop them or is it time to find them new homes? They zoom after DH and the kids, too, but not me. They know better as I carry a broom with me. [​IMG]
  2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

lol only thing that will stop them is penning them up apart, or else those testosterone driven males will start going after each other, get them a bunch of females they can 'service' or re-home one or both of them. Nothing cures them hormones!

lol @ the knowing better cause of the broom.

How old are they?
  3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have 6 drakes, and for a long time I only had 1 hen. One drake would mate with her, then all of the other drakes would jump on until the poor duck was almost drowning. [​IMG] I felt really bad for her, so last Spring I put her in a separate pen with my gentlest drake. This year I got 10 more 14 week old girls [​IMG] , but the first day I took them to the pond my Mallard flew too close to them, and they all had her pinned down in the weeds. I finally made my way over there and picked her up. The poor thing, She was so limp and tired I thought she was dead! [​IMG] I REALLY need to get rid of some of my drakes!
  4. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Duck is delicious, even on the BBQ. Thing is, that is where most 'rehomed' drakes end up. I'd rather eat them myself and know they were treated well till the end.
  5. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    Quote:They are a year old this month. I'd thought they be too old to eat. No? I was afraid if I rehomed them they'd get eaten.
  6. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    I couldn't deal with drakes and their nastiness, so I rehomed them and ended up with all females. The yard is at peace!!
  7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Well, I wouldnt keep both of them? I plan on only keeping one drake just because I want fertilized eggs. Otherwise, I would keep it at just hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by