My drakes foot is ALWAYS bleeding??!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by danielley101215, Sep 27, 2017.

1. danielley101215

danielley101215 Songster

May 4, 2017
    California
    I have a handsome male duck named Aflac! He's a very heavy white Pekin drake. It's always his right foot too, NEVER his left. None of my other ducks have this issue. And it's been this way for months, he waddles around and is clumsy because he's heavy but is this the reason his foot always bleeds??? It's so weird. And constant! Here's my handsome boy with my boyfriend! He's a sweetheart. (And someone probably my geese just pulled out his drake feather recently :mad:)

Attached Files:

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Lauren Kim

Lauren Kim Songster

Place the foot in warm water with epsom salt, and then try to roll the foot in cornstarch. That is what I have heard from other articles.

3. danielley101215

danielley101215 Songster

May 4, 2017
    California
    But why is it always bleeding?

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Does he have bumble foot?

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    what does the foot look like? bumble is a consideration, is he catching his nail on something? His feet excessively dry? what on and where is he mainly walking....

6. danielley101215

danielley101215 Songster

May 4, 2017
    California
    Their pen is this it's got dirt and some little gravel rocks and pebbles, I can try and get a pic of his foot today when I go see him it's just been going on soooo long and it's always only him bleeding and only the one foot and no one else has that issue, every time we catch him it's like Aflac is bleeding again????

Attached Files:

7. chickens really

When you do catch him look on the bottom of his foot....

8. danielley101215

danielley101215 Songster

May 4, 2017
    California
    I usually do because his blood gets on me. Idk how to describe it tho, it's kinda like a callus? I can try and get a pic of it though. Poor guy he's so big and clumsy

9. chickens really

If it looks like that? it's called bumble foot....Soak it in Epsom salt and apply clear iodine to help raise the infection to the surface....Keep it clean...You will need to confine him to a clean area...Once the infection rises to the surface you keep picking off the scab.....if you can? Bandage his foot....

10. danielley101215

danielley101215 Songster

May 4, 2017
    California
    What is epsom salt? And where do you get it? And he lives currently at my school ag farm so I'm not sure where else I could put him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: