1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=14482
    i
    drew out my coop
    all cement including the the run will be a cement base but the cement in the run will coverd in a foot of dirt the run will be coverd by the same fence as the run and also the fence will be made out of what looks like dog wire only 12 gauge wire reinforced with hardwire cloth. the walls will be made out of brick the hen house walls will be coverd by a sheet of plastic and the floor of the hen house will be coverd in laminate flooring. and i will have small drain that i can hose the poop out of the hen house, rabbit rooms and every were else, the poop will be able to be hosed out to the compost box.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    Where is the pic of it?

3. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    come on someone please tell me what you think

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Photo bucket says the image has been removed.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    we can't, gaitedhorse - the page says "this image has been moved or deleted - photobucket".

Did you rename the file maybe, or something??

Pat

6. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    k try it know

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    oh ok, after all this trouble trying to view the image, I may as well play along [​IMG]

I like the idea of 'rabbit storage'. "Where'd that naughty Thumper go? Oh wait, I remember now, I put him in storage, let me go get him.... filed under 't'..." <vbg>

Dirt over concrete is going to turn to mud and then wash away - you would want gravel or a sand/gravel mix if you want something over concrete.

There appears to be quite a lot of office space in comparison to the animal quarters [​IMG] You might want to think about it from the perspective of how many animals can be housed in the space you've doodled out. You might also think about how rabbits could be separated as much as possible from chicken (and chicken brooder) dust.

Have fun with your daydreams [​IMG],

Pat

8. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    the bucks will be in there own room in there own room in threre own cages. same with all the rabbits. the chicken storage room will be another room and i will have a brooder in it the rabbits will only beabout only 2 and a half pounds so there cages will be 5sq. per rabbit. the hens will have 4sq feet per hen inside and 8sq feet per hen outside. the run will be coverd in sand.

9. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    i will draw out plans for people

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    You asked for comments, here are my first reactions:

More room for people than animals...

Concrete cleans but doesn't drain and isn't nice for feet, human or animal.

The several hundred to several thousands of dollars in concrete alone makes set up prohibitive and the idea that it would pay for itself, ever, unlikely. Especially with such a tiny space for livestock. Quality of life may not be an issue you are considering for your stock, you may be in the city with no real space options.

If you're just keeping them for meat and eggs and don't mind really restricting numbers and area then yeah, it works. It's sort of small flock industrial.

You've utilized what are real minimums of "life space", the cleanliness of concrete will help you keep them less disease prone but those numbers do reflect a certain stress level that can be difficult to combat over time.

If it were me, I'd find lots of storage alternatives and minimize the "human" room and maximize the animal space available per beast. Sure you can keep it minimal if you really work at clean and slaughter in a timely manner.

I keep animals because it's important to me to know the quality of their feed and their lives, as well as food. So my emphasis is moving the human room out, the storage into minimal space and the animals into larger spaces.

That doesn't have to be your take and I don't know your situation so your mileage may vary.

But major major kudos for THINKING BEFORE doing anything. It makes a whole lot more sense than much of what we see here, eh?

When we involve lives of those other than ourselves, forethought is always a grand idea. They don't ask us to buy them. They're often going to give their lives for our own and most will live and die in our custody. I vastly prefer people who think BEFORE becoming responsible for a life, any life and YOU ARE [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by